Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Fan / Wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 02:18 AM
Eden is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fan / Wiring question

I'm not a huge sound buff but I do appreciate quality - I upgraded the front dash and door speakers with a Pioneer deck (I don't know which model specifically, mainly picked it up because it was on sale and ran my iPod).

I just put in a 300W sub in the back with two detachable, moveable, 6 way speakers.

Everything works great. The sub runs off of a JL Audio A1200 275W amp. The speakers run off of a second amp of the same model, but will not be inside the vehicle unless I plan on using it (due to theft). I have the second amp run to the back of the vehicle, powered, grounded, with a kill switch on the center console so it does not pull any power unless I want it too.

So the amp that I have in the vehicle all of the time I have mounted inside the center console, which I have modified to hold both of my ipod and amp. The inside has been shielded with non-conducting material, there is an intake fan where the coffee cups sit and an exhaust fan on the back of the console. The fans are two 4v, low speed, computer fans, which I only want running when the stereo is going. Can I use the remote switch from the head unit, which is a 12v line, splice it with the appropriate resistors and fuses, and run both of these fans off of the 12v remote switch line, as well as the amp? I am just unsure how much power the amp will pull and do not want to blow my head unit.

The reason the amp is in there is the console has also been modified to lock. Under the lid of the console is a basic key entry system that has been welded to the floor of the vehicle. It sounds crude , but works great and looks completely factory. With the fans running off of 9v batteries and the amp turned on it is only warm to touch and there is excellent air flow.

Old 03-30-2008, 03:45 AM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Fan / Wiring question

I would look into maybe using a voltage regulator like 9 volts to run the fans. You would need to run a power wire to the fans, and use a relay that is activated off your remote wire to turn the relay on. Do you know how much current the fans might draw? That way can find an appropiate regulator.