Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

First post: building a system from scratch

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 08:20 AM
Beginning Member
trapperjohn4077 is on a distinguished road

Well it looks like my budget just ran out as well, water pump went out on my wife's car. So I've got the factory tweets back in front and haven't touched the factory rear speakers. I installed some generic 6.5 inchers in the doors, but managed to poke a nice hole in one (A HOLE IN ONE!) while putting the panels back. ARGh!

Hi MT, I got your messgae but cannot reply to it for some reason. Thanks for your interest, I'll post a pic maybe on this thread tonight.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:45 AM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

No problem TP, i'm on here enough that i see replies to my posts... I understand having to pay for your "better half's" repairs. My girlfriend's 2000 grand am GT just had to have the catalytic converter, muffler and all piping from cat back replaced(Minus her rusted exhaust tips). 800 dollars to fix and because i'm making money, i gave her 500 to cover most of it. Seeing as how i'm 19, thats a lotta money haha (my money was going towards 2 new amps for my car but thats on hold now

Old 03-04-2010, 12:19 PM
Beginning Member
ryanarmstrong is on a distinguished road

what r u after for sound ? i only ask because if u r planning on adding subwoofers id do 6.5s all around and add subs for ur bass just make adapter plates

Old 03-04-2010, 01:02 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

With that deck its hard to upgrade. It has 1 set of pre-outs and I think it is switchable, but a pain in the a$$ cuz you will still hear bass from your speakers. I don't know how MBQuart hold up on full range, Mine have never seen anything higher than ~80Htz.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:21 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

get polk audio thats the good stuff full range and components are both great

Old 03-04-2010, 03:41 PM
BF Veteran

Polks are nice as are MB Quarts... I'm running my $35 coaxial Pioneers off the radio crossed over from 100hz and up and my JL 12w6v2 is taking everything from 80Hz down.. i know there is a gap but you really don't notice it to bad except on certain songs

Old 03-04-2010, 03:44 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by ryanarmstrong
what r u after for sound ? i only ask because if u r planning on adding subwoofers id do 6.5s all around and add subs for ur bass just make adapter plates

Please use real words (u r ur id), i'm 19 and can't stand reading that stuff. i'm not trying to pick a fight but....

And if you want something to sound really good, buy a set of components, a 2 channel amp, a good sub and a mono block... That will sound cleaner than a bunch of speakers...

Old 03-04-2010, 06:32 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

actually... my system sounds almost as good without the sub. honestly to have a good sounding system a small 200 watt sub is more than enough. I have a 200 watt inifinity and I have it turned down really low. the purpose of the woofer in your system is to relieve the rest of the speakers from putting out so much base. if you like to listen to loud music the sub does give you the "full" range of frequencies affect.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:38 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

MTopper is right in all aspects (except maybe the 100hz to 80hz gap lol) You really only need speakers in the back for the rear passengers. If theres not gonna be anyone back there alot of the time, don't worry about them. Components are the way to go; the crossovers in co/tri/quad-axial are junk. Components have a full, high-end crossover that is 1000x better!

Benedict is right too. If your not looking for ear bleeding loud, you don't need much.

Sometimes I think I have too much, then I turn it up. NOPE ITS FINE

Last edited by zedartwo; 03-04-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:40 PM
BF Veteran

I do agree with your truck.. I just base my comments off of the SQ aspect because thats the kind of installs i do for family and myself. For friends i do SPL setups of huge woofers, large amps, multiple batterys and what not. i don't doubt your truck sounds good but from my experience i've found that it sounds much better with your speakers are in front of you(unless you are going to time align your speakers which most radios don't do and i doubt anyone has an external TA hooked into their systems)

If i did have a rear hatch that opened up, not the half and half of the 2 doors, i would put speakers in the tailgate in a heartbeat but on a switch so that they only play when i want them to.

Not trying to pull the "my truck is better than your truck"... just saying that based off of experience and what i have learned/heard over the last 6 years, speakers in front of you sounds better. But its all a matter of personal preference... should have thrown IMO out there... my bad

Last edited by MTopper; 03-04-2010 at 06:49 PM.

Quick Reply: First post: building a system from scratch