Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

General Speaker question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 11:43 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough
Default General Speaker question

For the time being, i am running some $35 Pioneer speakers off my Pioneer HU. Well, these are my 2nd set of aftermarket speakers from my high school budget.. On the first set, the right door speaker blew and was an older Infinity coaxial so i figured it was just old and abused by my older brother in his Grand Prix.

Next, i bought these pioneers, after 6 months of use where i never exceeded 75% volume on my HU, the door speaker is giving me a lot of buzz and is blown (according to my local audio shop who are good guys and dont BS me).. so, until summer i'm running with a blown door speaker... Any idea as to why this keeps happening?

(I have a set of components in my room that i'm installing this summer when it gets warmer out with new wiring that won't be anything stock so i'm not too worried about that but blowing speakers with stock wiring is pissing me off)

Old 03-09-2010, 09:34 AM
Starting Member
JShark is on a distinguished road

i had a 6x9 "blow" in my old cavalier one time. i went to check it out and the magnet was attached to one of the trunk bars. i removed the trunk bar but it was still crackling so i got new 6x9's, they worked so i put the bar back on and it quit playing and when it did it just crackled... moral of the story make sure the magnet isnt touching metal, also have you checked your wiring on the speaker and behind the head unit? if its all good i myself would get some new wire and run it because maybe there is a fray in the wire somewhere.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:17 PM
BF Veteran

I've checked the wiring at the HU and at the speaker, the magnet on the speaker isn't touching anything metal. Its about 2-3 inches away from the metal support of the window and thats it. so, i'm still baffled. Obviously it won't be a problem in a couple weeks(maybe months) once i install my components, it'd just be nice to find out why

Old 03-09-2010, 08:11 PM
Starting Member
JShark is on a distinguished road

well try the rewiring sir. im not exactly sure how the dash speakers and door speakers are wired but id probably say they go from headunit to dash to door. im guessing that would be the problem.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:46 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

Hmm, I think my right door speaker is blown to. I though maybe just because its getting warmer, everything is expanding and the clips were just moving around. I hate taking these doors off but I guess its a must now!

Old 03-09-2010, 09:53 PM
BF Veteran

I know the feeling, i've taken my door panels off too many times to remember. took it off for tints, speakers(4 times), lock mechanisms(both doors), and again this summer to put my components in.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:06 PM

Yea. I might as well do it while I'm jobless cause I have TONS of time lol Looks like I've got something to do other than resumes and xbox! WOOHOO!

Old 03-09-2010, 11:40 PM
BF Veteran

Good call, and sorry to hear about lack of job.. I'm a full time college student so... money isn't exactly flowing here either

Old 03-10-2010, 04:38 PM

Its all good. I start work with my dad soon anyways if it comes to that.

But anyways, I got the door off and turns out to be what I originally thought. 2 clips weren't even clipped to the door panel. and the speaker itself was kinda loose. Tightened everything up, discharged my cap and recharged it, Pulled more power outta my amps and went for a drive only to realize my power came loose at the battery. Got home, fixed that and everything is good!

Old 03-10-2010, 10:19 PM
BF Veteran

Thats good news.. BTW, how do the MB Quart speakers sound to you? i'm thinking if i don't like the components i have boxed away in my room i'll try the Quarts.