Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

General info question

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 07:31 PM
WDRacing is an unknown quantity at this point
Default General info question

I was wondering if there was an FAQ or somthing similar with a bunch of info linked up all in one place. I just don't want to repost a bunch of noob questions etc. I mod a Nissan forum and I know how everyone loves noobs. I'm going to be fabricating a single turbo kit for my K5. I have almost everything I need for the kit, piping, turbo etc. I have a FMU (rising rate fuel pressure regulator) and 2 external pumps for fuel and the MSD BTM for timing retard on boost. My important questions are on the internals of the engine itself. I've been into turbo's since I owned two Skylines over in Japan. I tossed a rod through my 240 and I'm driving the K5 alot more now. It needs a boost in HP badly. Its currently in stock form. I'd like to run 8psi total boost, I'm just weary about how much the internals will handle. I'm going to boost the current motor while I'm building a motor on the side for more power.

Any hints, tips, links I can read up on? Thanks guys..

WD

Old 11-21-2006, 09:30 AM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: General info question

ORIGINAL: WDRacing

I mod a Nissan forum and I know how everyone loves noobs.
Unlike other forums, we don't allow for people to attack newbies. We ensure that this forum generally stays G-rated and that we are all kind to one another. People that break these rules are dealt with accordingly.

I am sure some of our tech-minded members will be very willing to give you some great input. I am not one of those tech-minded people

Old 11-21-2006, 02:05 PM

We welcome all the noobs over on NicoClub.com as well, we just hit 50,000 members. Its the largest Nissan Infinity club on the internet. But I mod the turbo 240SX forum, which all all the kids flock to. Everyone is getting into the drifting scene etc. The younger kids seem to type everything in short hand and never actually search around the forums for answers to their questions...they'd rather just repost Hence my initial post in here.

That being said, I sat awake last night putting together various setups in my head. I couldn't find to many turbo K5's anywhere..whats up with that? I'm assuming if I keep the RPMs at or below the norm, my rods will stay on the correct side of the block. The question is, how much torque will it be before they bend/snap. I can over bore all day, or swap bearings etc, its the hole in the block thing I really hate.

WD

Old 11-21-2006, 05:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

How much money are you willing to spend? What motor are you starting out with (350 or 305)?

On a stock bottom end (stock pistons/rods), I think that 8psi may have a tendency to cause detonation. IIRC, both the 305 & 350 had around 9:1 compression in that era which may be a tad high even for high octane to correct for... Are you going to stay with the factory TBI, go blow-through carb, or make the switch to MPFI?

In the end, its all about how much you want to spend. You can get some damn good HP out of a small block N/A (see sig).

Old 11-21-2006, 05:37 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

WDRacing,

Everything is a trade off when it comes to making more H/P. Is this going to be a daily driver or a street race truck etc. You might want to check out the Camaro/Firebird forums about turbocharging your particular engine, most off roaders don't seem to get the forced induction scene like street people do so most of the info maybe had there.

Most of the trouble in a forced induction system comes in the pistons shape, ie domed vs dished. And how it affects CR, most forced induction likes to see CR's below 9:1 so dished pistons are required since like you know with the nissans you are forcing more air in which increases pressures in the cylinder before it gets squeezed by the piston at TDC.

I will stop here to let you do more searching.

Hope this helps you find what you need...

Old 11-21-2006, 11:48 PM

Well, the main reason I'm going turbo is simple, I have the turbo, piping, FMIC and almost everything I need to fabricate a nice DIY setup. Forced induction is WAY easier to make decent power compared to NA. I have all the stuff to avoid detonation already, wideband O2, MSD Knock Alert and I've been building Alcohol injection kits for the last 8 years give or take.

I'm probably going to boost to 5 lbs and see where she sits. I bought a few books today on rebuilding the SB and whatnot. I need a good lesson on the V8...so much different then any DOHC motor I've ever worked on.

Thanks for the replies so far guys, I'll keep everyone updated as the projects come along, I love articles and pictures

WD