Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Head Unit installation w/factory alarm?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 08:30 PM
Beginning Member
seriosbrad is on a distinguished road
Default Head Unit installation w/factory alarm?

I've installed a few head units into some older vehicles before, no newer then 1988 though. Just some simple color matching.

Is there anything more complex in these 2nd gen Blazers that I should know about? Or is it still straight forward?

Also, my 2001 LS has a factory alarm system, is it in any way tied into the factory radio? If I pull the radio, will there be any issue in getting a new key FOB made? (I currently do not have one, it was bought at a police auction as a stolen vehicle).

Thanks!

Old 04-20-2013, 09:58 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Pretty straight forward, get yourself a wiring harness, save a lot of hassle. Metra makes good ones.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:26 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks. Ended up getting a "Bestfit" branded harness and dash mounting kit. The harness was fine but even with all the adapters in the dash kit, it took some cutting of plastic to get it in there.

I got the deck in yesterday, but got too confused by previous owner(s) wiring attempts at bypassing the Bose amp and adding their own amp to power the rear speakers. But today I figured out how to power up the Bose amp with my head unit and get some new 6x9's installed in the rear to the original wiring.

An issue I ran into was that someone had some 4x6 speakers installed into the Bose plastic adapter in the rear panels. I had to gut some extra plastic off the adapters to make my 6x9 kickers fit, and bolt the speakers into the adapter custom. But I got them in there!

Also got my Sirius radio put in, which luckily still seems to be glitched in free mode. Been free since 2010 for some reason

Attached Thumbnails Head Unit installation w/factory alarm?-q2bs2nq.jpg  

Last edited by seriosbrad; 04-22-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:00 AM
Starting Member
HcHawks09 is on a distinguished road

Do your steering wheel Controls still work with the new head unit?!

Old 04-23-2013, 12:46 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by HcHawks09
Do your steering wheel Controls still work with the new head unit?!
Nope they do not. Is there supposed to be some way to keep them functional?

Old 04-23-2013, 08:55 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Awesome, glad you got it figured out, there should be a way to get the steering wheel controls to work, Google your truck and cd player and steering wheel controls.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:08 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by richphotos
Awesome, glad you got it figured out, there should be a way to get the steering wheel controls to work, Google your truck and cd player and steering wheel controls.
Apparently there's a thing called an stereo interface made by PAC Audio. I'm really not too concerned about it, the controls on the steering wheel are in an awkward position, would rather use the volume **** on deck.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:25 PM
BF Veteran

its hard to push them anyways when you have them, especially when trying to turn LOL