Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

i need audio help (subs and amps)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 05:56 PM
Chenzo is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by blazinloud
... do it properly with that amp (if you must use it) 2 rear channels running subs and the other 2 channels hook up to your door speakers, done.
"with that amp (if you must use it)" does this mean that you wouldnt suggest using that amp? i dont have a specific way of wiring, so what would be the best way to go about this. my main question, should i buy this amp? ($100) from friend because he is anxious to seel so he can get a bigger one. i would be asking him all this but hes the type who'd say itd sound great so you buy it. i know it works cuz ive heard it, but hes only got it pushing 1 12" that was put in by a shop so he doesnt know about wiring.
the site for the amp said 200w*1@4 ohms bridged.. what does this mean?

i appreciate all the input, help, and advice.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:18 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

personally i wouldnt buy it, on the link posted it says its a 4 channel, then in the ratings it says its a 2 channel?

so bridging an amp is taking 2 channels and making it 1 effectively doubling the power, or more.

you have 2 single 4 ohm coil subs so you can either wire at 2 ohms, 8 ohms, or 4 ohms individualy

wired at 4 ohms=each sub getting 75rms on individual channels

wired at 2 ohms=each sub getting 100rms from the 2 bridged channels

will it work, yes. but if it were me id try to find a class d

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftec...2&woofer_imp=1

Last edited by blazinloud; 11-18-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:24 PM

ok thank you. and i didnt even notice that about the channels.. good catch. what brand of amps would you recommend or if you know of an amp specifically?

Update: just looked around and found these on amazon. from what everyone has said, it seems like these are more like what im looking for?

http://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-KAC-81...127030&sr=8-29

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-GM-540...126710&sr=8-16

Last edited by Chenzo; 11-18-2010 at 06:43 PM. Reason: new info
Old 11-18-2010, 07:52 PM
BF Veteran

you better check if your subs are dual 4 ohm or just single 4 ohm first.

for brands, id stay away from the 2 you posted for amp choice anyway.

alpine
hifonics
kicker

those are 3 mainstream companys that make good amps

if you want more power try a used sundown from this place http://www.db-r.com/

might be a little more than you wanted or need but it comes with warranty from an authorized repair shop. had my 1500d repaired there once and the service was great, affordable and quick.

but really, buying an amp depends what what loads you have to play with, so you really need to make sure what your subs are resistence wise

Old 11-18-2010, 09:31 PM

Alright, to check fir single or dual I just need to look at the sub right? If its got one or two places for wire? Its only got one set of positive and negative is What I mean. I don't need Anything overpowering Just something to sound good. The rms is 200 and Max is 400 on them so just guessing,300w to each would be good? Idk how that would get wired or if that makes sense.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:29 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

i personally like kenwood amps. they're cheap price but good quality. not amazing but good.

i have a 7 year old kenwood 2 channel amp the is still kicking and can push a set of components hard or a single 4 ohm sub perfectly.

whats wrong with kenwood and pioneer? i'd say stay away from hifonics all day long because they're overrated.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:55 AM
BF Veteran

well he can buy it if he wants, but cant say i ever would. hifonics just makes cheap power, thats all, and i emphasize cheap. alot of people seem to have good luck with them.

when your paying that much who cares if its underrated 200 watts or whatever, power is still there.

but yes, if its a dual voice coil you will have 4 terminals like this +- +- usually on opposite sides of the sub.

single voice coil 2 terminals +-

for something mainstream, reliable, easy to find, priced good, and quality id buy an alpine mrpm500, or one of the older vpower's

Last edited by blazinloud; 11-19-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:31 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

see, i ***** out JL Audio all day long but i will still recommend other products. the reason i stay away from hifonics is because when i installed a few in cars, the product felt fake. it just felt very cheaply made. this was 4 years ago.

i'd suggest
JL
Kicker
Rockford Fosgate
Alpine
Kenwood
Pioneer.

those are all amps i have used or had experience with in a friends car

Old 02-04-2011, 10:06 PM

its been forever since ive posted here. ended up with an 800watt ssl amp. sounds great.

Old 02-05-2011, 03:38 PM
BF Veteran

what did you do for a box? add any batteries or sweet stuff like that?

Quick Reply: i need audio help (subs and amps)