Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Installed new radio, now chimes from speakers when key is removed

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 04:51 PM
Got_Nukes is on a distinguished road
Default Installed new radio, now chimes from speakers when key is removed

Have an 03 blazer 4dr 4x4 and replaced the radio. Prior to the replacement, the door chime came from the dash. After the replacement there is an additional chime that comes from the speakers when the key is removed. Its a series of 3 chimes with a pause, then 3 more, pause and 3 more. Then it stops. Used the metra 70-2003 harness. Didn't connect dimmer or illumination. Did not need to run a wire for key switch power, as there was a switched wire in the harness. I've seen many threads here about RDS and no RDS. Any thoughts on what would cause this? Is there a data bus that runs through the radio? If so, will any other components lose functionality? ie ABS or air bags.

Thanks,

New radio and speakers all work.

Last edited by Got_Nukes; 12-26-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:00 AM
Defiant is on a distinguished road

I read your other thread and didn't quite get what you meant, I do however know what your getting at now. Those chimes coming from your speakers have nothing to do with the car chimes. The chimes your explaining have everything to do with the head unit. If your head unit has a removable face plate, most do, then those chimes are a reminder to remove the faceplate after turning off the vehicle to prevent theft. If you are like me and find this annoying, most of the time you can turn the reminder chime off by going into the options menu and turning it off. And to answer your second question only the stock head units that have the chimes coming from ONLY the speakers have the databus built into the radio. In your case, because the key chimes come from the dash, you shouldn't have lost any functionality of anything in your Blazer.