Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Installing a 2x12" sub and an amp...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 05:57 PM
Kresh is on a distinguished road
Default Installing a 2x12" sub and an amp...

Hi guys, im new here and i had a couple of questions. Any help would be gladly appreciated.
Ive read a lot of the threads and came to a conclusion that i still need help...
I am trying to install a sub (2x12") and an amp to my new blazer! I have a 2000 Blazer so i wanna add these components.
I ran the power cable from the battery to the back of the truck where im gonna install the amp. after i open the dash and take the Delco stereo out im lost and not able to hook up the rca cables as well as the power line for the amp(from the stereo to the amp)
I heard of the LOC and plan to purchase one if needed!

But first: Is it possible to get power from the delco stereo and run the rca cables or do i diffenitely need an LOC in order to get RCA outputs.

This is all new to me so please help if possible i would like to start enjoying my new system asap...

Thank u kresh

Old 02-12-2010, 06:25 PM
Starting Member
95Jimmy is on a distinguished road

You need a LOC unless you get a different CD player with RCA's.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:27 PM

thank u for the answer.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:12 PM
flipzat is on a distinguished road

so you want to keep stock deck ?

if not most new cd/dvd/mp3 decks have 2 rca outputs. One being for the sub and one for a 4 ch amp if ya want

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p...R/DSCF0004.jpg

Old 02-13-2010, 02:19 PM
Starting Member
speterson1011 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default yes

Yes you can use your stock headunit. You need something called a Line Output Converter. Every sound shop has them or you can just order one online there around 20$ usually. I've actually seen some at Walmart, my friend bought one from there and I put it in for him it was pretty simple

Old 02-13-2010, 02:56 PM

hey guys. i wanna thank everyone for the replys. this is very helpfull. ive decited to go ahead and just replace the head unit since that gives me the ability to play mp3s as well (seeing that most new head units offer that option now days) and I realized that its a whole lot easier to install the system properly that way. less trouble for the newbies.

Question: i used to own a dodge stratus and had previously installed a system in that car . ( 2x10'' and 1000 watt amp with a head unit/rca outputs). there was no problem whatsoever, but the only thing that i realized that was bothering me was that at night when i was driving and turned on the sub, the head lights would reduce their overall performance ( they were not as bright as when the sub was off). didn't bother to much at the time cuz i wanted to trade the car in. being now a blazer owner i would like to reduce that problem if it does persist/if possible, and do this the pro way to the best of my abbility and your help.
IF anyone has any idea for whats the best way to connect the power cable to the battery without reducing the battery performance/ please let me know it would help me out a lot. I realize that a separate power source may be the problem solver, or for that matter is that issue a deal breaker at all?? meaning does reducing the battery performance gonna cause any problems in the future... any suggestion?? thx kresh

Old 02-13-2010, 03:16 PM
Starting Member
speterson1011 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default try

I used to have that problem then I did the big 3 wiring upgrade. Search through the threads on here and you will see some write ups on it. Basically your just upgrading the wires and using a heavier gauge is all. Or you can look into getting a capacitor, I saw better performance with the big 3 upgrade in my 1200 watts rms system and thats a 3000 watt peak sub system

Old 02-13-2010, 04:13 PM
flipzat is on a distinguished road

The big three helps a lot with dimming issues heres the write up i used

http://bstuff.com/index.php?showtopic=35256

Also a deep cycle battery would help, and on my old car when i had over 3000 watts rms i went out and got a High Output Alternator after that i could bump all night with no dimming