Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

looking for (1) suboofer that can handle 1500 rms

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 02:54 PM
JIMMY_HAT is on a distinguished road
Default looking for (1) suboofer that can handle 1500 rms

hello i just wanted everyones opinion on a singe sub setup for my gmc jimmy 4 dr, i have a US AMPS Merlin MD2D clas d amp rated at 1500x1 rms @ 1 ohm mono, im not interested in a giant sub because they sound like crap with music, im looking for a sngle 8" or 10" that an handle some serious power....right now im just am looking at a Sundown sa8v2 sub...any other suggestins would be greatly appreciated, ported or sealed doesnt matter...tanks in advance

Old 01-06-2013, 03:40 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

The SA8v2 will not take realistically 1500wrms and it's not rated for anywhere near that. Also, large subs sounding like crap on music is a rumor. An 18" sub can and will sound just as tight and accurate as an 8 or 10. It's all about the enclosure.

Now, what kind of budget are you trying to work with? I can easily suggest the Fi Q or BL as both are rated for 1500 and available in 10". There's the SSA XCON also which is available in a 10 as well.

It just depends on what will fit in your budget.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:46 PM
JIMMY_HAT is on a distinguished road

I understand the sa8v2 is rated @ 500 rms, but the guys @ Sundown say it has no mechanical limitations, and only saw mechanical failures at around 5000w burps....budget would be maybe around 250-375 for the sub...and would prefer a vented box, I have plenty of room, especially considering a single 8 or 10 vented would prob be around 2 cubes max + or - ill check of the "Fi"...I looked at the xcons...they seem like a great sub as well

Old 01-06-2013, 09:41 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Fi makes really good subs, and the SSA Xcons are very good as well. With either you cant lose.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:17 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JIMMY_HAT
I understand the sa8v2 is rated @ 500 rms, but the guys @ Sundown say it has no mechanical limitations, and only saw mechanical failures at around 5000w burps....budget would be maybe around 250-375 for the sub...and would prefer a vented box, I have plenty of room, especially considering a single 8 or 10 vented would prob be around 2 cubes max + or - ill check of the "Fi"...I looked at the xcons...they seem like a great sub as well
I'm a fan of Sundown, they make some great products, but I think they get a little overly confident with some of their claims. Yes, the SA8 has no mechanical limitations in the sense that you cannot bottom the coil or triple joint out on the motor structure. That means the spiders and surround are stretching to their limits when it's being ran at its mechanical limits. Run that sub like that long enough and it WILL definitely fail mechanically after some period of time. That could be three weeks or it could be three years but some part of those soft parts will eventually wear out and fail. Another thing people don't realize is that the videos they have showing that stuff are a controlled environment and you don't see what happens with it after the video, it could be completely useless afterward. They know through their testing exactly how far they can push the product, besides that, with impedance rise, box rise, power compression and other variables of that sort the sub is never seeing a true 5,000 watts of power. Plus I'm sure that "over 5,000 watts of power" failure was an instant failure or nearly instant which isn't a real useful test in the first place.

I'm not saying the SA8v2 isn't a beast of a sub, because it truly is, but a person should buy a product based on their needs and goals and the fact the product meets as many of those needs and goals as possible. Also consider the fact that running at product outside it's specifications including more than rated power voids the warranty no matter the manufacturer. If you're wanting a sub that will work with your 1500 watt amp you should buy one that has a 1500watt rating. Sure the SA8v2 can handle that 1500watts of power, but what no one can answer for you is just how long it will do so. Sundown guarantees it will last past the warranty period at 500, and at 500 it will probably last someone a lifetime the way it's built, but there's no guarantees above that.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:36 PM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

Me being a sundown rep I would not recommend putting 1.5k to a SA8v2 daily. Burps....yes all day long. But not a daily power. If you want a sundown the Zv4 10 coming out will do perfectly fine on that power. Also, they are coming out with the x-10 soon which will take that amount of power fine.

Now that being said, depending what amp you are running, after box rise you wont be seeing a true 1500w out of your amp. If you are seeing 1k to 1.2k an SA10 will handle 1k just fine

Old 01-21-2013, 07:50 PM
Starting Member
blown262 is on a distinguished road

Just go with 2 SA8's then I have 2 and they are running 1K in a Sentra

Old 02-21-2013, 08:44 AM
Beginning Member
BIGJEFF64 is on a distinguished road

i would either go with 2 or maybe 3 of the sa8v2's i have 6 personally!!! FI, AA, SSA, even an American Bass XFL will be perfect for 12's and the Xfl is cheaper then the others