General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

basics of a 4x4 RMS replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 04:45 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default basics of a 4x4 RMS replacement.

My moms boyfriend has a buddy that may do some work for me on the cheap, namely intake gasket, valve cover gaskets and maybe a new cap and rotor if theyre not expensive. that stuff is obvious for repairs.

1-But can anyone tell me the basics of what has to be done to change the rear main seal, and approximate time it takes. also, are there any other *cheaper* repairs that can be easily done with the intake apart. Ive read valve seals can be replaced, but how expensive/time consuming is it?

2-its quite difficult for me to tell if my intake is leaking. I saw a small puddle behind the alternator bracket, sprayed carb cleaner on area and engine rpm didnt change. spot is right underneath the t-stat. the carb cleaner helped it evaporate fast, then the next day it was dry, sprayed carb cleaner again, and no change in rpm. then i looked yesterday and another small puddle of coolant.
t-stat is dry also, hoses all look dry, also no drips of coolant under vehicle, and no hissing sound. idles and drives good.

Old 01-01-2011, 05:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The LIM gaskets typically fail around the coolant ports, not around the intake ports.

To replace the RMS, you have to either pull the engine or the transmission. You can possibly get the transmission pulled back far enough to be able to remove the flex plate and then the RMS, but the pan will also have to be dropped to get the RMS out.

Old 01-01-2011, 05:08 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Yeah the leaks of coolant from the intake happen around the coolany crossover through the intake, which is on the frontside. The rear ones are pulgged off and dont crossover, I seen them leaking more cause the gunk builds up around here in the heads. You should be able to hear it leaking when its all quite and you shut it off once warmed up. Sounds like squirting. Have a light and mirror? Have a look down the rear below the distributor for leaks too.

I wouldnt worry about the valve seals unless its smoking blue. Those are done with the valve covers off, and are kinda a bugger and time consuming.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:34 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

is there a major leak coming from the RMS? 'cause it's not a difficult job, but it is a little time comsuming.