Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

my subs

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 08:58 PM
01vortec is an unknown quantity at this point

except for the fact the audible frequency of lighting and the frequency of a gunshot are not even close to the amplified audible frequencies their subs are going to produce.

Last edited by 01vortec; 03-06-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:12 PM
Starting Member
BlazinClinton is on a distinguished road

isnt it high tone ranges that do more damage?

Old 03-06-2011, 11:35 PM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 01vortec
except for the fact the audible frequency of lighting and the frequency of a gunshot are not even close to the amplified audible frequencies their subs are going to produce.
the frequency doesnt matter. Its the decibel level. Thats like saying which weighs more a 10 pound feather or a 10 pound bowling ball?

Old 03-06-2011, 11:50 PM

decibel level is true, but human hearing is much more sensitive at higher frequencies, most average systems are maybe 120-140db at less than 50hz, hearing damage is much less likely in those frequencies.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:16 AM

That may be so, but prolonged exposure to loud noises at any frequency will cause damage.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:04 PM
zr2dan is on a distinguished road

the guy that runs the stereo shop told me i was as loud as a train he told me the exact numbers but its been 3 years ago i dont remember he had a instrument the measured db and spl they got a volkswagon beetle in the store it has 2 jl w7 i guess they are 11inch i think and jl audio amps and that little buger is loud beat like hell it was much louder than my 4 12s but those subs where 800$ a piece and the amps where 900$ i think its been a long time since i even priced new equipment my stuff still works so no need to replace

Old 03-07-2011, 02:17 PM
chevytruckdood is on a distinguished road

my minitruck only has 2 twelves and im hitting 162 db. theres tons of little things you can do. i wouldnt have a system that loud in in daily driver. NO WAY. first off im to tempted to always have it bumping. and two my hearing is precious to me.

in my daily- the blazer im looking at doing something as small as possible beacause i use my cargo space alot. and travel alot. .

one thing you could add to your stereo?- dynamat. Ive got dynamat under every possible area in my s10. maybe a secondary battery or high output amp?
move up to monster cable? kick panel speakers?
make your own box out of MDF? i really really hope your not using a store bought cheapie box?... just some ideas sir not trying to hate by any means. anyway i can help i dont mind.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by chevytruckdood
my minitruck only has 2 twelves and im hitting 162 db. theres tons of little things you can do. i wouldnt have a system that loud in in daily driver. NO WAY. first off im to tempted to always have it bumping. and two my hearing is precious to me.
There's no way you're hitting 162db with 2 12s. I highly doubt you're even over 145.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:57 PM
chevytruckdood is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 01vortec
There's no way you're hitting 162db with 2 12s. I highly doubt you're even over 145.
Im not going to argue the point, i have no proof. Ive never taking to any kind of stereo competition. I had all the work done at Boomers Audio in Tulsa,Ok. I have no way to prove it unless i can find my receipt from the install. They have a dB meter. and thats what they said it hit. It ridiculously loud. there maybe no possible way to do that with 2 twelves. i dont know. Stereo isnt my forte- thats why i paid for the install. They could be lieing to me. Im sorry if i have false information, im really not meaning to lie about what my truck hits.
heck currently there is no stereo in the truck. its comepletly empty on inside of truck for the bodydrop.

The only reason i took it to them was they sponsored one of my club member's s10s, (custom door panels with 2 8s on each), with a cab-to-bed blow thru- 4 kinetic batteries, and all sorts of goodies. ill try to find some pictures of the setup, but he doesnt talk to me anymore since hes been recently going to jail alot (lol) -

Old 03-07-2011, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by zr2dan
measured db and spl
Db AND spl? that is nuts! lol

Quick Reply: my subs