Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Is my subwoofer destroyed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 11:02 PM
Beginning Member
Doms01Blazerls is on a distinguished road
Default Is my subwoofer destroyed?

When i bought my blazer it came with a boom box in the back its a memphis amp (dont know how many watts) and 2 10 in memphis subwoofers. It was loud and cool but stupid me punctured a hole with my golf bag in the foam around the outside of the subwoofer (from my research its called either a diaphragm or a suspension). I was slapping away one day and i heard a loud cracking coming from the subwoofers so i pulled over to investigate and now the foam is cracked almost all the way around the speaker. and when i turn it up the middle part which is a hard plastic smacks the foam and makes an annoying buzzing. my question is. is the subwoofer toast and is it possible to may have a car audio shop replace the suspension or diaphragm for cheaper then a new subwoofer (give or take $100). the red is where i poked a hole in the foam and the yellow is where the crack is.

Attached Thumbnails Is my subwoofer destroyed?-memphis-sub.jpg  
Old 09-25-2011, 11:59 AM
MakaveIi is on a distinguished road

That is fixable, thankfully. Those are nice subs, it's definitely cheaper to get fixed than buying a new one.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:22 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Go get it looked at, you may be better off getting a new sub.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:16 AM
Starting Member
ON THA LOW is on a distinguished road

honestly in my opinion anytime you get a speaker re-coned or re-foamed and realisticly any work done by just about any1 other than the original manufacturer its never the same...it can be done cheaper than buyin a new sub and it will work but my opinion would be to get a new 1.but it will work gettin re-foamed

Old 10-05-2011, 06:18 AM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ON THA LOW
honestly in my opinion anytime you get a speaker re-coned or re-foamed and realisticly any work done by just about any1 other than the original manufacturer its never the same...it can be done cheaper than buyin a new sub and it will work but my opinion would be to get a new 1.but it will work gettin re-foamed
i respectively disagree with you on this. If you take your time, you can recone a subwoofer just as well as any company. I reconed 2 18s 2 months ago for a friend and he has been bumping away daily and at competitions with 10,000 watts going into them with no issues. It just takes patience to do it right.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:45 AM
Starting Member
Senshi09 is on a distinguished road

if you take it to get it fixed you'll be paying as much if not more than just finding another one on ebay. You'd be surprised about how cheap you can find stuff on ebay.