Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

No sound in speaker problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 04:33 PM
Starting Member
briankane05 is on a distinguished road
Default No sound in speaker problems

Hello everyone
I have a '97 Blazer and there is no sound coming out of the speakers. Everything on the actual stereo deck works but no sound from speakers. When I first got it about 6 months ago once in a while a little bit of sound would come in and out from one of the rear speakers but now nothing at all.
I pulled the dash off and checked the wires on the back of the deck and one of the door panels and checked the speaker area and everything looks ok from what i can see.
Can anyone give me some advice on more things to check out?

Old 11-07-2010, 06:32 PM
zerepdivad is on a distinguished road

Is it a factory radio? Do you own a multimeter to check for ac voltage coming out from the deck?

Old 11-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Starting Member
blazerpower is on a distinguished road

sounds like you have bad speakers to me.

Old 11-08-2010, 03:31 PM
Starting Member
briankane05 is on a distinguished road

yes it is a factory radio and no i do not own a tester.
how should i check it with a tester exactly. what part do u hold it on.

someone did tell me it sounded like a speaker problem a while ago but is it really that possible that they would all go at the same time? can anyone point me in the direction of how to test the speakers. i'm really not good with electrical terms so the easiest way would be best.

thanks all

Old 11-08-2010, 05:32 PM
zerepdivad is on a distinguished road

Very unlikely that htey ALL went at the same time. get a multimeter and check for ac voltage at the speakers. or unhook one of the speakers and hook up a known good one. pretty simple to troubleshoot.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:02 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

See the link for testing a speaker with a 9V battery.

http://www.soundspeakerrepair.com/sp...+Instructions/

Old 11-08-2010, 07:29 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

You really need to get yourself an inexpensive Digital Volt Meter. To check the speakers set the meter on Ohms and put the two leads on the + - speaker leads. You should get a reading very close to speaker rating 4, 8 or 10 Ohms. If you get no reading then either the speaker is bad or one of the wires is open. Do not measure any live voltage on the Ohm Scale or you will blow a fuse in the meter. You can set the meter to read DC Volts on the appropiate scale and check the output voltage from the head unit. If you have no voltage at all then there is an issue with the head unit or the wiring to the head unit. Once you learn how to use the multi-meter it will come in very handy for Auto & Home use. Have you checked the fuses for the head unit. There is usually at least two fuses one for the radio lights and one for power. I not sure what the normal output voltage is for speaker leads maybe someone else can chime in. I know the voltage changes with the volume setting.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:59 AM
Starting Member
blazerpower is on a distinguished road

they probably didnt all go out at the same time. its just you only noticed it when you had no sound anymore.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:45 AM
Starting Member
azguero is on a distinguished road

i do not know what chevy did wrong with second gens but they have had several problems with rear speakers goin out there are several solutions to this many people have gone and bought cheap aftermarket speakers and installed them and it fixed the problem which for some reason this has fixed alot of them but if you take the same speaker from the blazer and put them in another vehicle or even home stereo thay work fine? wierd but it happens also if hat is not the problem it occasionally is the deck or worste case which is still fixable is bad wires