Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

OEM Speaker Sizes

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 09:53 PM
TomCat4680 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by altoncustomtech
It's due to the depth. The 4x6 size itself will fit perfectly but due to the shape of the dash and the duct work for the HVAC system there's not much depth there. All but the smallest 4x6 speakers are too deep to fit without hitting the structure underneath. The dash was built and designed around those little tweeter plates being used in that location. Even the crappy 4x6 factory speakers that GM uses in so many other vehicle won't fit in the location on these trucks.

Get yourself a decent set of component speakers. Put the 6.5" mid in the doors, mount the tweeter to the factory tweeter plate and don't look back.
I went with the Pioneer TS-G4644R's instead and they sound great. Saved $12.50 too.

Last edited by TomCat4680; 12-16-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:01 AM
Beginning Member
fwupow is on a distinguished road

My install is done and things are quite improved. I now have mid-range and highs and the sound is in front of me instead of down at my ankles.

I am getting more sound pressure but given the fact that the speakers are essentially working without an enclosure, it doesn't take long for them to sound crappy. I think more amplification would be wasted on them.

It's interesting what passes for a 6.75" speaker. The OEMs were only 6" at the outermost edges with about a 5.25" cone. The new PowerBass units have a larger overall diameter but an even smaller 5" cone size.

Next summer, I think I'll work on getting some subwoofer and more bass out of this crap bucket. Gonna need to install an amp and some proper enclosures but I don't want to go so far as to repurpose the vehicle from an SUV to a rolling boombox.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:17 PM
er0ck273 is on a distinguished road

so exactly what depth would you say would be clearance for the 4x6's in the dash. or besides the one suggestion of the pioneers, which other models have worked for everyone? in 2nd gen

Old 01-15-2014, 06:39 PM
Starting Member
Badco is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by er0ck273
so exactly what depth would you say would be clearance for the 4x6's in the dash. or besides the one suggestion of the pioneers, which other models have worked for everyone? in 2nd gen
In my Blazer, I have the Scosche HD 4x6s in the dash (not recommended). According to a little googling, they have a mounting depth of 1 3/4". Not sure how much extra play is there.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Badco
In my Blazer, I have the Scosche HD 4x6s in the dash (not recommended). According to a little googling, they have a mounting depth of 1 3/4". Not sure how much extra play is there.
today i was driving home from work and they had a little static/fuzz on the drivers side tweeter. so with a 4x6 id take out that metal adapter that comes stock right? and does the ohms matter ?

Old 01-15-2014, 07:11 PM
Starting Member

I'm guessing your Jensen is the replacement radio? Anything on the current market is fine, 4 ohms. And yes, you would take the plate that holds the tweeters out. You'll see where your 4 mounting points are. Also, you'll want to take out the bass blockers (unless you decide to go with replacement tweeters). What I did was just unsnap the connection, and sever the wire just after the blocker (big cylinder looking thing) and saved as much of the connector as possible since I knew I would be replacing them soon anyways. If you don't take the blocker out it will sound like poo.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:25 PM

I'm guessing your Jensen is the replacement radio? Anything on the current market is fine, 4 ohms. And yes, you would take the plate that holds the tweeters out. You'll see where your 4 mounting points are. Also, you'll want to take out the bass blockers (unless you decide to go with replacement tweeters). What I did was just unsnap the connection, and sever the wire just after the blocker (big cylinder looking thing) and saved as much of the connector as possible since I knew I would be replacing them soon anyways. If you don't take the blocker out it will sound like poo.
i looked for just tweeters, cant find stock but id rather have upgraded ones anyway lol. do they even sell just tweeters that would fit the dash anymore? lol

Old 01-15-2014, 10:43 PM
Starting Member

With that specific OE bracket, probably not. I can't remember if Crutchfield had any tweeter onlys for the dash, even then, it would probably be a separate mounting bracket. I'm sure Rock Auto sells them, though, if you don't mind forking over 50-60 bucks per tweeter.

Besides, for 50-60 bucks you can get a decent pair of 2 or 3 ways with a good mid, upper mid and/or tweeter. But I would stick with the inch and 3 quarter mounting depth. If you get really ambitious, you could probably get another half or 3/4" if you can find a way to raise the speaker up closer to the cover.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:41 PM

instead of taking out the bass blocker, can you buy speaker wire adapters and just plug in with new 4x6's? would that plug into the green end?

Old 01-16-2014, 05:29 PM
Starting Member

I'm not sure if they do or not.

Quick Reply: OEM Speaker Sizes