Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Out With The Old... In With The New!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 09:21 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bobditts
something isnt right here then. Either your enclosure isnt built for max SPL and/or you are underpowering them. I have personally witnessed 4 6W0's produce 148db no lie. So i am more than confident that 3 12W1's can do a lot more than 132db. My SQ setup can do more than 132db
i agree.

i had 2 JL 12W6's (sealed) in my Jimmy that measured 142.8 db.

but back to the topic @ hand............that little box looks right @ home there brother.

once it wakes up, it should sound quite nice.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:45 PM
Starting Member
JShark is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Benedict1337
how do you like the sealed box in your truck? I had 2 12" apline type r's sealed in my truck and it sounded horrible compared to my little inifinty 10" in my ported box. I'm getting a new sub in the mail tomorrow too. Always fun to get new stuff

sounds amazing, type r's sound like garbage in a sealed box. i went through that problem. somebody on here said recently (thinking they know it all) something about sealed boxes in a blazer or any open cab will sound bad, not true at all. its all about the sub. i had 2 jl w0's sealed, they sounded amazing. now this Q sounds even better. I have no idea how people get these crazy *** ideas about sealed sounds like **** or ported sounds better, i think its what you want which for this sub i wanted sound quality and how the sub will react.

what sub are you getting? and getting anything in the mail thats not a bill makes me want to dance the night away!

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
but back to the topic @ hand............that little box looks right @ home there brother.

once it wakes up, it should sound quite nice.
thank you sir. im pondering on filling the gaps around it and building an amp rack to the side. so it should look even better.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:32 AM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

like you said, subs can sound good in either sealed or ported. its all personal preference really. i loved my 12w3 ported better than sealed but my 12w6 sounded much better sealed.

now, my 12w7 will sound much better ported. i've heard a 10w7 in my brother's trailblazer a few years ago in both sealed and ported. ported for w7s are much better..

its all in the ears of the beholder really. so, i'm still impressed with your fiberglass skills and that sub is probably great. if you have a program such as google sketchup you can design it all in the program and give you a great idea of the look and everything else

Here is my idea of what i was going to do in the right rear corner before i went huge haha

Last edited by MTopper; 09-02-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:18 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

I'm getting a polk SR104 should be a pretty big upgrade from what I had

Old 09-02-2010, 06:58 PM
Starting Member

iv got autodesk inventor 2010, google sketch up is a great program i used that before. i think i liked sketch up better, inventor is way to in depth. to be honest im going to download sketch up again. that looks like a sexy box and amp rack. you should still make it and send it to me. id use it

Benedict, that sub is very sexy. i love your truck by the way. i seen your build where the lights are all blacked out and everything and that looked amazing! did you change them out? im asking because your sig.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:31 PM
BF Veteran

JSkark, i'm honored you use my comment in your sig hahaha

but yeah, that amp rack combo isn't too hard if you have a circular saw and a jig saw... obviously a table saw and router would make life much easier but....

the only thing that might be a problem is securing it down. i have no problem with drilling into panels and metal but some people do so.... let us know what you end up doing and we can help you along the way

Old 09-02-2010, 08:38 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

I should build something like that.... maybe only ported

Old 09-02-2010, 09:43 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Take a look through my build thread, my pops made a killer amp rack for my rear corner, and its got a cover so it hides the amps inside from thieves eyes.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:45 PM
Starting Member

iv got no problem drilling into the floor. i have the sub box drilled down now all i have is a drill i have to go to my moms house to do all the fun stuff. im new to building things so my step dad helps me out alot.

ohsofly that is the most amazing thing iv ever seen. thanks for the idea. do the amps get hot without any fans?

Old 09-03-2010, 12:12 AM
BF Veteran

as long as heat can escape i don't see why they should get too hot. i have my 1000/1 and 300/4 right next to each other with minimal space around them and they stay cool to the touch. i have a 1/2 inch piece of mdf over them with some slits (1/2 wide by 15 inches long, 5 of them across) in them that does the job no problem

Quick Reply: Out With The Old... In With The New!