Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

power cable shenanigans

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 11:14 PM
Brian_D will become famous soon enoughBrian_D will become famous soon enough
Default power cable shenanigans

So im in the middle of pulling all of the old wiring out for a fresh install. amp, subs, new wiring.

My first speed bump is the shop that installed the original stuff did one hell of a job hiding the power cable, there isnt anything visable that i can see where they connected it to the battery and where its going into the dash for my life of me i cant find where it exits into the motor compartment.,..

anyone have any ideas on where i would most likely find the power wire under the hood judging from the picture?

second question would be whats the best method for hooking up the power cable. when i was younger i remember vaguely just going straight to the + terminal with some kind of connector

Attached Thumbnails power cable shenanigans-20141005_173833_zps13804bde.jpg  
Old 10-08-2014, 07:55 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

What you remember is still the best way to connect the positive lead for the amp. Just don't forget to fuse the wire as close to the battery as everything under the hood will allow you to mount it.

To me it looks as though the wire is heading straight for the main harness boot. The main wiring harness has a huge rubber boot that keeps the water/weather out of the cabin. It has a fair amount of room around it and a lot of people like to cut a little slit in the boot and pass the wire(s) through that and then put a dab of silicone around it (hopefully).

If they did indeed pass through on that side they might have connected the wire to the main post on the under hood fuse block instead of directly to the battery. Otherwise they would had to have ran the wire from that boot all the way around the engine compartment to the battery.

It's just a guess, but that's where I'm leaning toward what they did. If you take that bottom trim panel off that's hanging there in the picture you should be able to see up under the dash pretty easily at wherever that wire is going.

BTW, if that is how they installed that wire then beware there's probably other corners on the old install that have been cut. It's scary to think that people PAY shops for that kind of crappy work.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by altoncustomtech
What you remember is still the best way to connect the positive lead for the amp. Just don't forget to fuse the wire as close to the battery as everything under the hood will allow you to mount it.

To me it looks as though the wire is heading straight for the main harness boot. The main wiring harness has a huge rubber boot that keeps the water/weather out of the cabin. It has a fair amount of room around it and a lot of people like to cut a little slit in the boot and pass the wire(s) through that and then put a dab of silicone around it (hopefully).

If they did indeed pass through on that side they might have connected the wire to the main post on the under hood fuse block instead of directly to the battery. Otherwise they would had to have ran the wire from that boot all the way around the engine compartment to the battery.

It's just a guess, but that's where I'm leaning toward what they did. If you take that bottom trim panel off that's hanging there in the picture you should be able to see up under the dash pretty easily at wherever that wire is going.

BTW, if that is how they installed that wire then beware there's probably other corners on the old install that have been cut. It's scary to think that people PAY shops for that kind of crappy work.
thanks for that reply bro, i noticed they wired the remote wire into what seems to be part of the freaking heater **** under the cd deck. no idea why they did that. i just cut it and wrapped it in electrical tape. ill hook my remote wire up directly to the cd player like intended. perhaps the reason was that when they hooked it up originally it was to the stock cd player which didnt have a harness like aftermarket decks do, not sure.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:59 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

It's hard to tell. One thing is for sure don't EVER take anything to that place!!! lol

Old 10-08-2014, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by altoncustomtech
It's hard to tell. One thing is for sure don't EVER take anything to that place!!! lol
yeah, im not sure if its even open anymore that was around 8 years ago in my home town in texas heheh.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:27 PM

any idea on how to unhook this e brake handle so i can get the bottom dash piece completely out?

Old 10-09-2014, 11:04 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

I thought the e-brake mechanism just was screwed to the back of that panel.

It has been like 3 years since I've seen the inside of a blazer though.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:30 AM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

The cable comes off the pedal assembly. If I recall correctly, it'll just pop off. I pondered that myself a while back until I decided to look at the other end of the cable instead of the end with the release handle on it lol

Old 10-11-2014, 07:06 PM

The old power cable was hooked up to the fuse box under the hood. got all of the new gear installed and it sounds great so far.

thanks for the replies folks.