Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Preamps and High/Low Pass

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 08:02 AM
Starting Member
DrEaMsTeVe is on a distinguished road
Question Preamps and High/Low Pass

I just received my JVC KD-R200 head unit in as I had to send the Boss 735UA HU back defective to sonicelectronix.com.

Now, the head unit is pushing 20 watts RMS and the Boss was the same though the boss had 5 volt preamps and the JVC has a 2.5 volt preamp. Should the lower voltage cause such a dramatic drop in signal/volume?

I now have my eclipse amp turned up much higher as well as bass boost. This is due to the preamp voltage not being as high as before right? I wanna say yes, but I'm doubting myself because I now have the gain and bass boost maxed to get it at the level when I had with the boss HU. Before, I only had the gain up half way with little bass boost.

I should note that the HU allows you to change the preamp to get input from rear signal or dedicated woofer. If it's set to woofer, then you can adjust the woofer volume. Now that I think about it, I'll set it to rear output and see if it helps with the signal to the sub/amp.

As for the High and low pass ***** on the Eclipse amp, if you have the switch set to low pass, then the high pass **** shouldn't do jack right? Only the low pass will affect the sound with it switched to low pass on the amp. Am I correct in thinking this?

Amp is EA4000. I have 2 channels bridged to make 150 watts. (I know, 4 channel amp, I'm working with what I have at the moment)

I currently having 150 watts RMS going to the 10" P2 Punch that Handles 200 Watts RMS.

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:53 PM
boomtruck97 is an unknown quantity at this point

more or less you have an idea whats going on. i use a Lanzar line driver/EQ that will take a 2 volt in and send 5 volt out. i love it and its under 100 bux. but if you check Ebay i have gotten some for only about 40 after shipping. Just make sure and reasearch what you want first so you dont waste any money in the middle.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Starting Member

I fiddled with it a bit more and have come to the conclusion that It's good the way it is. With one ten inch and 150 watts, I have just enough bass to sound clear and tight. I was just surprised at how high I had to set it and that the difference would be so substantial.

Other than that it's a heavy metal set up with the equalizer settings for Hip Hop should I need it.

I did notice though that if the treble was too high (mids too) that my 4x6 dash speakers (coaxial) would crackle something fierce. Is that normal? I'm pretty sure its a settings issue but wanted to run it by you guys. Right now I just keep bass/treble/mid on flat and run the EQ settings off the deck and the crackling goes away.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:20 PM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND READ!!!!. there is a proper way to adjust the gain and bass boost. Guestimating is NOT the correct way. Read the sticky and adjust the gain properly. If done so, you do not need the bass boost at all.

Second, you are correct in saying that when switched to low pass, high pass will not do anything. What frequency do you have the *** set to?

Old 04-24-2009, 07:24 AM
Starting Member

I have the lowpass set for 100 Hz and lower going to the 10".

I am pretty sure I was adjusting the gain correctly as it were. I turn the volume up as loud as I will ever hear it with a flat EQ and then turn the gain up so that the bass is level with the rest of the speakers at High volume. I hear no distortion what so ever and definitely no clipping. I keep the EQ flat on the HU. The bass is nice and tight with drums and when I do play HipHop and Rap, the Bass doesn't overtake the rest of the song. The amp is only for the sub. The rest of the speakers are running off of the head unit.

It's just that the gain has to be turned up really high to get an equal Db/bass response out of the subwoofer to match up to the volume of my 6.5's and 4x6's as compared to the Boss I had in there before with the 5v preamp. (2.5 on the new HU). It's almost like its not getting enough power or something.

I do notice that when I set the lo/mode on the head unit from WOOFER to REAR, that the bass gets a whole lot more louder/sloppier. But I lose the ability to control the Woofer level from the head unit.

I'll get my multimeter out and set it that way to see how it sounds. Will update later today.

Last edited by DrEaMsTeVe; 04-24-2009 at 07:35 AM.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:01 PM
Starting Member

Update: at 90 percent gain, I get 24 Volts on heavy bass. Wish I had a pink noise cd with me but had to settle for some bass tracks.

Note---My amp has a light to indicate clipping.

I had to set the head unit lo/mode from woofer to rear so I can have that higher db bass coming in. For some reason it's weak with it set to woofer. Woofer level control is maxed too when set to woofer.

No EQ just a flat line across. Low pass on amp is set to 80 Hz now.

gain level on head unit is set to low as anything higher than 30 is not comfortable for me.

Double checked voltage with metal, rock, and hip-hop and verify 24 volts on highest surged bass. Guess it's just a head unit thing with this particular model.

Thanks again for the sound advice regarding gain/voltage. I did have it just a tad high and the bass boost is much lower than it was.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:10 PM
Starting Member
NoPh33rRaCiNg is an unknown quantity at this point

90% is high

Old 04-25-2009, 02:52 PM
Starting Member

Verified with pink noise cd and tested it up to 90 percent gain and 24 volts. No clipping. And volume at 80 percent.

It got pretty freaking loud though. Your right...90% is high. As long as it isn't clipping and I hear no distortion, I'm not worried.