Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Protecting wires from heat?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 09:34 PM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Protecting wires from heat?

Im currious what kind of methods we can think up for protecting our aftermarket wiring projects from heat uderthe hood and around the exuast.

I use 2000 degree pyro sleeves for protecting my 4g power cable but at 20+ dollars per 3ft chunk it is a bit excesive for smaller wires.

so i was thinking about running wires through hoses? or pipes? what kinda suggestion does everyone have?

what kinda hose/tubing would work? my headers burn all my wires, lol. :-(

Old 11-08-2009, 07:52 AM
Monkeyman is on a distinguished road

Reroute your wiring.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Monkeyman
Reroute your wiring.
Thats really helpfull productive advice, THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH PROTECTING WIRES!

...Next

Also... I been looking at using rubberish fuel line hose, Its cheap and suppose to be rated for high heat.

Last edited by Ugly_Monkey; 11-08-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:32 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well, the question (title) is "protecting wires from heat". I think what Monkeyman was getting at was, instead of going through costly means of protecting them in their current location, to try and route them differently as to not be affected by the heat.

In terms of what to put them in, there is some higher temp wire loom that can protect to some pretty good temperatures. You could also fab up an aluminum heat shield for the bundle.

In my opinion, if it is more than an inch or two that is going to be affected, a better solution is to move them to where they are not affected. Since this is custom wiring, routing them away from heat is quite easy on initial installation if though of. If this is an after thought, then it can be more complicated...

Old 11-10-2009, 10:06 AM
richkcmo is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
In my opinion, if it is more than an inch or two that is going to be affected, a better solution is to move them to where they are not affected. Since this is custom wiring, routing them away from heat is quite easy on initial installation if though of. If this is an after thought, then it can be more complicated...
yep! i agree.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:54 PM

Re-routing is not the issues, sorry if I was rude in my earlyer post.

These are wires that go across hot places. mostly single wires or pairs used for senders.