Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Quad Beam Mod

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 10:05 PM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Quad Beam Mod

What do you guys think? is this an apropriate way to perform the "Quad Beam Mod"?

Old 05-11-2009, 10:58 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would not do it with a sealed beam dual pattern bulb. That is a sure fire way to overheat the bulb.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:17 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Yea, it will work. I imagine it could also be done by running power from the high beam circuit to the low beam relay, then using large diodes so as not to backfeed to the highbeams when the low beams are on.
But Kyle has a good point... I think you may start melting stuff and replacing bulbs sooner than expected by running all four lights for extended periods of time.
Has anyone else done this?

Old 05-11-2009, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
I would not do it with a sealed beam dual pattern bulb. That is a sure fire way to overheat the bulb.
HaHa! Sorry for the confusion but...

I got a new composite front end that I will be doing the mod on when I install.

So it wont be quad sealed beams, lol! But I do apreciate the warning.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:45 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

OK, just going off your sig pic. Looks like the sealed beams in there.

Aside from that, the schematic looks good.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
OK, just going off your sig pic. Looks like the sealed beams in there.

Aside from that, the schematic looks good.
Yah my truck still has the sealed beams, I figured Id do the mod to the new lights before I put em on.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:10 PM
Beginning Member
chevyracen is on a distinguished road

stupid question what do you mean composite front end

Old 05-12-2009, 09:31 PM
Administrator

He is talking about the headlight design. His current headlight is a sealed beam (glass housing) that has both high and low beam filaments in the same glass housing. The composite headlight housing is a plastic housing which has separate capsule bulbs for high and low beams.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by chevyracen
stupid question what do you mean composite front end
yah what kyle said... All it is is a new grill and the headlight housings and mounts. but the new setup needs 4 wire per side ie 2 grounds and the sealed beams only have 3 wires ie 1 ground ( also note that the blue wire is the drl ground so it must be cut and not used for the above diagram).

so im powering the new bulbs straight off the batt through relays controlled by the old wiring!