Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Rear speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 06:57 AM
BLK85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rear speakers?

Ever since I bought my Blazer in December the rear door speakers didnt work. Or I guess the one works but you can barely hear it and the other doesnt work at all. Is this common and where should I check first? Im guessing its just a loose connection but where should I look first?

Old 03-15-2007, 11:07 AM
Beginning Member
Dohcser is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Rear speakers?

I am new to the blazer forum as I just purchased a 94, however not new to audio. Usually manufacturer has arectangular L shapedconnector that plugs right into the speaker. This could be loose, check this first. If that does not help, ensure that you are getting sound from the speaker. If there is no sound disconnect theL shapedconnector and hopefully you have a Digital multi meter, if you do put the settings to check Resistance at 20 Ohms. Take the leads and put one to each prong on the speaker, see if you get a reading, it might be anywhere from 1 to 4 Ohms. If not you have a blown speaker. If you done have a meter take a 9Volt and try to attach the (-) to one side of the speaker and take the (+) and quickly attach it to the other side, when I say quickly just make a brief connection and pull it back off you should hear a little pop in the speaker, if you do that means your speaker is somewhat good. I say somewhat because you can still hear a pop, however when you apply music to a speaker the voice coil gets hot and if the speaker is on its way out it can play intermittingly. If the speaker is good then it could be your wire from your head unit to the speaker, the actual connector on the speaker, or even the head unit. Most likely it is your speaker!
Hope this helps.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:50 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

The ohm reading should probably be 8 or 10 ohms, if it's the factory speakers in there.

Old 03-16-2007, 01:51 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

wow, I've never seen a 10ohm speaker before, craaaazzzzzyyyyy

Old 03-16-2007, 04:59 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

yea, they have speakers anywhere from 10 ohms to .5 ohms.

Old 03-16-2007, 09:44 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

I didn't look at the 6x9s that I pulled from the Blazer... but the 4x6s that I pulled from my '85 S10, were the exact same thing that were in my old Lumina, and they were rated at 10 ohms, as were the 6x9s that were in my Lumina...