Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Wiring rear speakers

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 08:57 PM
lochenjons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wiring rear speakers

I thought it would be easy enough but its been giving me some problems. My truck came with aftermarket rear speakers (nothing special just speakers) and they werent hooked up or anything. There were some wires that came to where they would go near the front of the bed so i assumed those were what Id hook it them up to. but the connectors didnt connect to anything so i tried stripping the wires and twisting them togethor. That didnt work so i took the stereo out and realized the two audio cables rear connectors werent connected to anything. I couldnt find anything I could connect them to inside either. But I tried just running an audio cable connected to the ones running from the stereo to the speakers to see if it would work. But I cant connect them to the speakers. There are two wires coming out of each speaker, a positive and a ground. I tried to connect the pos. to the cable and the ground to part of the body taht was unpainted. But that didn't work. How should i connect the two wires from each speaker in the coaxial cables running from the back of the stereo? Should there be something in that mess of wires behind the stereo? I was able to get some old crappy computer speakers to work because i have a rca-computer audio cable convertor btw, so I know its the way im connecting the speakers. Is my ground not good enough? Even with a good ground would it work to hook up the pos. from the speaker to the audio cable?

Old 09-08-2006, 09:35 PM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Wiring rear speakers

I cant picture what you are talking about, mind taking a snapshot? Ive nver seen COAX in a stereo except for the antenna.

you should have 8 speaker wires and 4 other wires(red,black,blue,yellow) that control the power and memory of the headunit. All the other
wires are for the speakers. Unless you are talking about subs then I dont see where COAX comes into play either. You wont get any sound from a speaker if the wires are hooked up to the speaker and to the wires coming out of the back of the headuit. I dont know if this helps but I am confused and put it the best way I know how.

Old 09-08-2006, 10:06 PM

Im not home right now but ill take a pic when i get there. basically theres the headunit and it has the power and memory and all those wires in one connector, then there one wire that goes to the front speakers (maybe anntenna too im not sure). oh and my bad its not coaxial i dont know what i was thinking, its those regular rca audio cables. like these http://z.about.com/d/hometheater/1/7...ocablesnew.JPG
those are whats coming out of the headunit

Old 09-08-2006, 10:30 PM

RCAs are for the amplifier......... If you can get a pic my email is detroit78muscle@yahoo.com I kinda got a clue but if i had a pic of the wiring harness I can tell you for sure.

Old 09-08-2006, 11:09 PM

ok i forgot my cameras broken but here is bascially the same thing
http://www.hvc.ee/gfx/img/th-headunit-back.jpg
I beleive the black on the left is for the front/antenna(?). The other two cables (red & white) are for the back right? ACutally I know they are because I when i hooked up the crappy speakers and adjusted the balance to the rear they got louder. So how I connect the speakers to these tho? Right now the speakers just have two wires sticking out of each one, a ground and pos.

Old 09-08-2006, 11:26 PM

well the RCA's are for the amp only, the rear speakers are hooked up to the wires coming out of the harness that plugs in the back, the black is for the antenna yes the speakers needs to be hooked to the wires coming from the harness not the RCA's unless you are running an AMP.

Old 09-09-2006, 12:20 AM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

First off, is it an aftermarket deck??? if so, the greens and purple wires on back of radio are for control of the back speakers. If I remember correctly, on a truck that old, the rear speakers wires will be tan and blue for left side, and right side will be dark blue and lt blue. Those are in the correct order for positive and negative. If you cannot find those color wires in back of truck, you should just go ahead and run new wires to them from the radio. Do not ground them to the body, grounds for speakers do not work like actual grounds, they are negatives.

Old 09-09-2006, 12:36 AM

Ok i got it to work! It was weird tho, there was a bunch of extra speaker wire that ran to the floor that didn't actually go anywhere. But next to it was the actaul rear speaker wire i needed. Its way too short so now all i have to do is get more wire and run it to the back which should be pretty easy. The only question i have is that there is only one set of +/- coming from the headunit. It works when I put both pos. from both speakers on the one pos. and both neg. from both speakers to the one neg. It'll be fine to just connect it like that right? With both pos/neg to the one wire?

Old 09-09-2006, 09:11 AM

You might want to rerun those wires then, connect them at the harness for the headunit then run to each speaker. It sounds like the previous owner hacked the crap out of that harness.

Old 09-09-2006, 02:15 PM

Yeah thats what I'm gonna do, probably today so Ill let you all know how it goes. And they definately hacked the crap out of that and anything else with wires in the back. Theres random wires on the floor dangling down all over the place. Ill hide all those wires away today too, Ill try to take pics first of them so maybe you guys can figure out what their to