Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

sound deadening/insulation

Old 10-08-2013, 12:44 PM
Starting Member
swells87 is on a distinguished road
Default sound deadening/insulation

Hey guys, I am looking to quiet down my rig a bit and hoping to let the ac and heater work a little easier. I have read through the sticky about sound deadening, but was hoping to do things a little cheaper. Now I have been reading about using some materials from home depot or lowes, and some people are saying there is a smell from them and that they really wont work very well at all. I live in a fairly cold area, we almost never see 95+ days in the summer, we usually stay in the mid to upper 80's. I am wanting to cover pretty much the entire interior of the car with these 3 products. Now having said all of that what do you guys think of these products, will they work or will it be a waste of money?

Mass loaded Vinyl
dB-4looring 4 ft. x 25 ft. Flooring Acoustical Underlayment-DB448X25IBX at The Home Depot

Peel and stick kind of stuff
Frost King E/O 12 in. x 15 ft. Self-Stick Foam/Foil Duct Insulation-FV516 at The Home Depot

Closed cell foam
Swim Time 60 ft. Roll Above Ground Pool Wall Foam-NL110 at The Home Depot

So what do you guys think? Will this work, or is it a waste of money?

Old 10-09-2013, 05:19 PM
Starting Member

Any input guys?

Old 10-09-2013, 07:22 PM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

no on all accounts.....if you want to do it, do it correctly the first time and you will be pleased. Trust me. I know from experience lol

Old 10-09-2013, 07:23 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

doesnt look bad, never did any of this stuff. Would be interested to hear how it comes out
dB-4looring 4 ft. x 25 ft. Flooring Acoustical Underlayment-DB448X25IBX at The Home Depot

Old 10-09-2013, 07:40 PM
Starting Member
toyhauler1283 is on a distinguished road

I myself (without.spending a fortune) would go.with.the frost.king stuff I've never used it in a vehicle but have used it in my shed and worked better then I had expected it to so as long as you could get it to.stick to all the surfaces I don't see why it wouldn't work in a blazer

Old 10-10-2013, 09:11 AM
Starting Member

Jag have you used any of these products or something similar? What would you recommend I use instead?

If I do decide to use all of this stuff I will try and do as much testing before and after as I can.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:12 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

To each his own, but I agree with Jag as well. Every Time over the years I've used a product intended for home use in a vehicle it's caused or had some issue or another. They either don't stick, straight out don't work, or cause problems like mold/mildew and other issues. Sure, it's cheaper but if it doesn't really work for what you need or it falls off or fails to work out in the long run then are you really money ahead when it has to be redone?

If you're having issues with your budget but still want a real, useful for the automotive environment and cost effective product I would suggest RaamAudio for CLD tiles and CCF. Their products have performed well for me in the past and they're a bit cheaper than some of the other top companies. Remember when it comes to the CLD you only need 25% coverage for great results. You can use more than that if you want but the law of diminishing returns will come into play and that basically means that you're putting on more and therefore spending more money for very little increase in performance. The CCF is a fairly decent quality product. It does compress after some time but it does do it's job. Anytime I've used it I use multiple layers where I know it's going to be compressed and at the price they sell it for it doesn't hurt the cost effectiveness of it for those little spots. As for MLV, in most cases MLV is MLV and whatever you can find for the best price is generally okay to use no matter what the environment.

The only brands I recommend for deadening are RaamAudio, Second Skin and SDS (Sound Deadener Showdown). These guys are the best bang for the buck products and Don at SDS is about the most knowledgeable and honest person to deal with, especially with these products. I would highly suggest going to SDS's website (Welcome to Sound Deadener Showdown | Sound Deadener Showdown) and reading up on the how's and why's of sound deadening in an automotive environment. You'll learn more there than anywhere else.