Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Some speakers work fine, some periodically, others not at all

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2020 | 03:56 PM
|
Beginning Member
MrJithers is on a distinguished road
Default Some speakers work fine, some periodically, others not at all

I’ve read all of the other threads but they don’t seem to really match my problem.

So I bought this blazer a while ago and only the dash speakers worked. Then one day the passenger front and the passenger rear worked. I haven’t heard the rear since but the front works off and on throughout the day.

ive tried multiple head units. New and old. Same thing happens.

I don’t have any idea where to start when it comes to testing the speaker wire power so it’s leading me to believe it’s the wires but I really don’t want to rewire the whole speaker system if I don’t want.

I also don’t know how I would test if different speakers work because the factory speakers are riveted in.

Ive read about speakers just locking up or going out but could it be that since they still work periodically? Is it worth it to get new speakers or should I try anything else?

Ive read about many blazers that have the same problem but there are a million different fixes. What should I try first?

Old 05-10-2020 | 08:09 PM
blazen_red_4x4 will become famous soon enough

With it being intermittent like that, it sounds like a wiring problem. Like a wire somewhere has gotten chaffed and is either loosing connection, or is grounding out. Either will cause a speaker to not play sound properly. Depending on how the radio is internally wired, if a channel is shorted out, it could take out both fronts or both rears together. Only way to find that is to just start reaching in the cash while the radio is on and playing and start moving wires around.

The dash speakers (technically just tweeters) and front door speakers are actually wired into the same front output channels. You're saying that the dash speakers are working, so that means that in theory the front door speakers should also be getting a signal and making sound.

My opinion, and where I would start if I were in your shoes: If you're just looking to get some sound out of them are aren't looking for the best possible quality door speakers, just buy some cheap drop-in aftermarket replacement speakers from Walmart or the interwebs. There's a sticky here that goes over the speaker sizes.

You don't have to drill the rivets out and remove the plastic shrouds from the door. There's 4 torx screws that hold the speaker to that adapter. You might have to push the foam around the edge of the speaker out of the way to see them, but they're there. Remove those and the new speakers will fit there and you can screw them right to that plastic ring.

It would be a cheap way to start. Chances are they're just old speakers and are shot. Wouldn't be the first time.

Last edited by blazen_red_4x4; 05-10-2020 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-11-2020 | 12:55 AM
|
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4
With it being intermittent like that, it sounds like a wiring problem. Like a wire somewhere has gotten chaffed and is either loosing connection, or is grounding out. Either will cause a speaker to not play sound properly. Depending on how the radio is internally wired, if a channel is shorted out, it could take out both fronts or both rears together. Only way to find that is to just start reaching in the cash while the radio is on and playing and start moving wires around.

The dash speakers (technically just tweeters) and front door speakers are actually wired into the same front output channels. You're saying that the dash speakers are working, so that means that in theory the front door speakers should also be getting a signal and making sound.

My opinion, and where I would start if I were in your shoes: If you're just looking to get some sound out of them are aren't looking for the best possible quality door speakers, just buy some cheap drop-in aftermarket replacement speakers from Walmart or the interwebs. There's a sticky here that goes over the speaker sizes.

You don't have to drill the rivets out and remove the plastic shrouds from the door. There's 4 torx screws that hold the speaker to that adapter. You might have to push the foam around the edge of the speaker out of the way to see them, but they're there. Remove those and the new speakers will fit there and you can screw them right to that plastic ring.

It would be a cheap way to start. Chances are they're just old speakers and are shot. Wouldn't be the first time.

Thank you. That’s very helpful. Ive moves wires around in the dash and the door and nothing has changed. I’ve got a parts truck that has the same speakers so I’ll try swapping them in and see what happens (they worked when the truck was driven)

Old 05-11-2020 | 07:09 PM
|
Beginning Member

Update:

Replaced the speakers and they work just fine. The speakers came out of an s10 and seem to have some kind of built in tweeter but they aren’t doing anything weird so I guess they’ll work until I decide to spend the money on aftermarket all around

Old 05-11-2020 | 08:29 PM
blazen_red_4x4 will become famous soon enough

Yeah the S10's usually don't have the tweeter speaker in the dash (they all have the grill for them, they just didn't option 99% of the S10's with the tweeters), they just have the coax speakers in the doors with the tweeter built in. It wont harm anything having those in there.

Glad that is all that it was!