Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Speakers dead? Wiring problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 09:34 AM
Beginning Member
CoffeeAddict is on a distinguished road
Default Speakers dead? Wiring problem?

Alright so I'm not really sure what is going on with this. I found this thread https://blazerforum.com/forum/lighti...ramming-78266/
that describes my problem pretty accurately. Yesterday I went out and took off the dash and checked the radio wiring and also took off door panels and checked the speakers themselves to see if they were blown. I didn't see any rips or stuff on the speakers and the wires appeared to be stock wiring that has not been modified. Its still on the stock head unit. The RF drivers door speaker works along with the in-dash (tweeter?). On the front passenger side there is a very small amount of sound coming out of the speakers but you can only tell when the balance is set to only be coming from the right. The rear speakers have nothing at all.

Has anyone run into this? I mean its just odd I've never really seen speakers just outright stop working period. I've seen them blow but usually then you still get sound though not really anything good. There is just nothing as if they are not connected at all.

Any ideas?

Old 05-05-2013, 10:54 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

I have seen factory speakers just up and quit working, especially the ones in these trucks for some unknown reason. A good friend of mine who had a '97 had each speaker die one by one in the matter of a month with only the factory HU running them. When I helped him replace them one was locked completely up, the rest just didn't work. There was no continuity through the voice coils at all which meant that the points where the tinsel leads were soldered to the voice coil came loose in all likelihood.

They're just REALLY cheaply built speakers. PartsExpress occasionally gets bulk loads of speakers that would have been used in factory stereo installs and can sell them for 25 or 50 cents a piece and still turn a profit. How much reliability can you comfortably expect from stuff that cheaply built?

An easy way to test for certain the speakers themselves are completely dead is to take the one from the drivers door that is working, and plug it in at the other locations. If it still plays fine, then the speaker in that location is indeed dead, if not then there are other things to consider that could be wrong including wiring, and the actual output channels themselves in the HU. You could verify that by plugging the non-working speaker(s) into the driver's door location.

A little troubleshooting will get you your answer, but my money is on the speakers themselves being shot.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:08 PM
swanman35 is on a distinguished road

My drivers side speakers worked, only in front. No other speakers. But sometimes the rear worked. They were not blown, and I wired my new speakers up to the stock wiring, and they always work. So my speakers would randomly work/quit. Stock speakers are pretty bad for these truckS. Luckily I snagged some better speakrrs off my friend for $20. Good luck, hopefully something simple.