Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Speaker Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 10:58 PM
parkonahill4 is on a distinguished road
Default Speaker Troubles

I have a 98 4 door blazer. It has a little speaker on each side of the dash, a speaker in each front door, and a speaker in each rear door. Lately, I have had some of my speakers stop working. One of the back door speakers has completely stopped working, and each front door speaker will go in and out. The speaker issue would be easy to solve but... I know the front speakers come from the same source at the head unit. Then the wires split inside the dash so that they can power both the dash speaker and the front door speaker. So if the dash speaker is working and the door speaker on the same side is not working... then the problem must be after that split, right? Otherwise neither speaker would work. My problem is I can not find any bad spots in the wire after the split. I have moved the wire all around and it won't cut out... or if it is already cut out at the time, it won't come back on. So basically my question is: if there is a loose connection at the head unit and only a small amount of power was going into the wire, would it be possible for that small amount to just power the small dash speaker and not the door speaker since the dash speaker requires less power?
Hopefully someone can help. I don't know that much about electric currents and all that. Is anyone out there an electronics expert?
Oh by the way, I would have just replaced the wire going to the speaker, but the speaker has a cover over it that is riveted to the door and I really don't want to mess with that so I wanted to figure out exactly what the problem was before I fixed it.

Old 05-16-2010, 02:10 PM
parkonahill4 is on a distinguished road

anybody?

Old 05-16-2010, 02:15 PM
KILRBLZR is on a distinguished road

Its possible there could be a short in the speaker itself. I had it happen in my jetta. I jarred the door and tried pushing on the cone...as soon as the cone moved it cut out. Best bet is to hook up just any speaker to it to see if it works then you know for sure.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:24 AM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

If another speaker doesn't work try this, take some wire and attach it to the speaker, attach the wire to the speaker and behind the Headunit to see if it is just the wiring. If its that simple, you just need to run some new wires and you'll be set.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:26 AM
Beginning Member
89K5gasahollica is on a distinguished road

yep run new wire directly to stereo, if a wire isnt cut where you cant reach , and if it isnt a ground issue( wire touching bare metal) then speaker is toast.running new speaker connections and charging system upgrades is top of the list on any audio project i do.yank out the stock and go cop some speakers bro, pop a coldy n get da black tape out......now dive in