Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Sub installation advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 02:53 AM
Jbark2492 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sub installation advice

I am debating on wether or not to get my subs professionally installed by the local audio shop Horizon audio they charge 100 to install the head unit and mount the subs and run the wiring is this worth it also the reason i am leaning toward gettin it professionally done is because everyone around here thinks they know something about subs because they watched theyre friends dad hook their buddys subs up or sumtin but ive seen alot of systems go bad because the people who hooked them up didnt know what they were doing and didnt ground a wire had a bad conection or just cut corners to save money i seen a kid who spent like 17000 on his little SRT4 neon that had a stage 3 turbo and act stage 3 cluth and magnaflow exhaust and it was lowered well he goes to put some subs in cuts a corner and saves a few bucks when he bought the wire he bought the cheapest wire their and it wasnt the correct gauge and he hooked it all up and the subs didnt work i later found out this kid had no insulation on alot of the wire he used because he bought most of the wireing from walmart but this kid still claims he knows what hes doing another case my cousin had his sisters boyfriend hook up his subs he had audiobahn 15's and a 1500 watt legacy amp (the boyfriend i guess got this amp cheap off a friend) if im not mistaken legacy is crap but i dont reall yknow what im tlking about any ways after the dude was done hookin it up the subs did not beat very hard at all and we just thought it was the subs and they were dissapointing but then we found out the radio on the head unit didnt work the boyfriend messed up the wirng for the stock speakers and only the 6x9s worked and the system kept shorting out my cuzin was lazy so he ran the wire that went to the cdplayer from the amp by his feet and everytime it shorted out he would just pull the tape off of the wire and reconnect the wire and it started working again i dont want headaches with my sound system and i dont know a whole lot about wiring and what not so im thinking just get it done professionally but i know some cops in our township and after talking to them about the local audio shop they all said tht a few years back a different branch about 15 miles from the local one was taking people adrress's after they got their system put in and going to the peoples houses and robbing their cars for their subs and selling them right in the shop there hasnt been a report of these in like 4 years but it worrys me also I bought 2-12 1000 watt each Volfenhag subs was this a good move i hear alot of mixed reviews about these german subs alot of people say theyre insane but on some of these forums i see alot of people sayin that they are very dissapointed i bought the matching amp 2000 watt Volfenhag amp and this is the wire kit i bought is it a sufficent kit for my needs? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:IT&ih=011
back to the local shop am i better of just going to bb or cc lol idk y im asking everyone will probably say no but those robbery horror stories scare me alot loli should probably buy a diffferent box i regret buying the one tht i bought its really the only thing tht i cut corners to buy http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:IT&ih=003 there it is i dont know why i bought this one i tried doing some research and for some retarded reason got scared away from a ported or bandpass box someone told me that they dont work as well in SUV's and tht bandpass is for sound quality and ported is for boom and loudness any one know what each is for? also shoud i face the subs towards the drivers seat or away once again ive heard ALOT of different stories some people at school are trying to tell me that if you turn the subs towards the drivers seat you eliminate any rattle and it sounds louder up front well i dont know if i should believe that because ive never really seen alot of

Old 11-28-2007, 07:03 AM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation
Default RE: Sub installation advice

Couple things, first, wow, long post!!

Next on to your subs and amp. I regret in telling you that you will probably not be happy with your purchases. If you put anywhere near 2000 watts to those subs, they would fry, but that is ok, because your amp is probably putting out less than 500 watts. Volfenhag is not bery good stuff. Ive played with them a few times, not impressed at all. You would have been better off stopping by a few shops and listening to what they sell, and talk to the installers.

Now, if you think you can do the install, you can try, but most times it is more harm than good, if you dont know what you are doing. Speaking from my very lengthy knowledge of Horizon, they are not theives, and do very good work, albeit over-priced on some accounts, but bettery than CC, BB and automotorsportplus hands down. I know for a fact that HHgregg in Belden Village has a pretty good installer (friend of mine) who has been in the competition lanes for a few years(and they are cheaper).

feel free to pm me, i can help you out, as i am local, and if you decide to get different equipment, i can also build you a box and do the install

If you want my professional advice, scrap what you have already, and see what the installer at hhgregg recommends.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:05 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

hard to complain with lifetime warranty on the install.

The $100 is totally worth the hassel to me......but im lazy [8D]

Old 11-28-2007, 02:18 PM
felonyblazer96 is an unknown quantity at this point

def 100 dollars i a rip off jut buy the 10 dollar kit and do it yourself i can give you step by tep

Old 11-28-2007, 02:30 PM
cloak01ls is an unknown quantity at this point

$100 is a decent price for installation of all that. If you've never done an install before it can be stressful and sometimes problematic. IMO, it would be worth shelling out the extra cash to have a professional do the work for you and have the piece of mind that a lifetime warranty gives you...

Sure you can save yourself a little bit of money by installing it yourself. But, then when something doesnt work right, or goes bad sometime down the road its all up to you to fix it. Which is more time and potentially more money you have to spend...

You also mentioned something about a sub enclosure. Building your own enclosure from a professional design is the best way to go. Most prefabs are not built very well, tuned very high, and usually sound like junk. If you have the carpentry skills you can get away with about $60.oo inmaterials for building your own box. Or if thats over your head save up some lunch money and have a good custom shop build you one for around $200.oo....

ORIGINAL: felonyblazer96
def 100 dollars i a rip off jut buy the 10 dollar kit and do it yourself i can give you step by tep
Where in the world are you going to get a kit, harness, antenna adapter, and amp wiring kit for $10???

Old 11-28-2007, 02:48 PM
Jbark2492 is an unknown quantity at this point

yea im leaning towards professional installation and are fiberglass custom enclosures any good? i know a kid who works at a company where all they do is mold fiberglass and whatnot and he says we can prolly make aan enclosure

Old 11-28-2007, 03:14 PM
BF Veteran

haha, i wish it was only $200 for a cutom pro built box.

I called several places and they want $400+

I even offered to supply my own materials, and they rejected.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:18 PM
cloak01ls is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: blazinloud

haha, i wish it was only $200 for a cutom pro built box.

I called several places and they want $400+

I even offered to supply my own materials, and they rejected.
Thats a shame. For a basic two sub ported, carpeted enclosure it should be no more than $250. I charge $150 for a single sub and $200 for a two sub...It should be materials plus two hours labor...

Old 11-28-2007, 03:23 PM
BF Veteran

yup, i asked for a box for 2 12's slot ported at 32hz, 2.5 cubes each.

1st he said that 32hz was way too low, then he said it'd be like $450.....I walked out......

another place didnt even have the proper equipment to design one and told me I had to bring my own, like wtf?
am I the pro or are they? [:@]stooooopid shops.