Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Subwoofer News...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 04:50 AM
benzodogg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Subwoofer News...

Ok guys, how many of you have had your 00-02 Xtreme broken into becuz you had to put subs in the trunk? It has happened to me, twice. Anyway, both times I didnt have a large system, just a 10inch about 300 watts, I listen to a lot of techno and like my bass to balance with the volume of my Pioneers. Because I am still wanting a balanced sound system, I decided to put my mind to work. You know those cabinets in the back seat, the doors of which are directly under your rear 6x9's near the floor? I am in the process of taking my cabinets apart, doors, interior panels and all, and fitting a custom sub enclosure to the area between the door and the actual wheel well. (pictures coming soon) I am still in the initial stages of this project, today was actually my first day. I work in a tire shop at a local Sam's Club, (one of my coworkers runs Turbod16.com, a popular civic forum) when i get time, I will work further, I will keep everyone updated as I work on it. I plan on mounting an 8inch subwoofer w/ enclosure in this tiny space, but if it doesnt work, I have found some 6.5 inch subwoofers that I can amp, and possibly run one in each cabinet. I am going to keep the interior rear panels of the car entirely stock, unless I have to modify them. If this has ever been attempted, let me know!!!!

Old 02-18-2005, 07:03 AM
01xtreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Subwoofer News...

I was thinking about doing that a while back ago but decided against it. I was thinking about building a box that would fit inside it with the doors off because I couldn't think of another way to properly seal the box if I just had a face for the speaker put in it and used the actual cabinet as the box itself. Good luck. I'd love to see what the idea would look like.

Old 02-18-2005, 11:01 PM

yeah i had thought about that as well...I glanced over it a little more today, and just getting the panels out is gonna be hard enough. I had to remove my spare, and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have to remove the jack and stuff, but also the panel that the jack sits in, I believe its holding down the driver side panel. Also something else i noticed, I will probably at some point be taking my back seat out for this thing. The cabinet looks like its not gonna come out unless the seat does. If anyone has the time, can you all inspect this area on the driver side, a forum full of heads are better than one, just let me know if you see an easier way, or a more logical way to take out both panels. One last note, if any of you are experiencing a rattle on your passenger side, coming from the 6x9 panel, loosen the seat belt bolt that holds the panel on; I dont hear a thing now....!

Old 02-18-2005, 11:53 PM
01xtreme is an unknown quantity at this point

So that's what that rattle was...that's getting annoying. I'll fix that now...thanks. I'll do some checking on that driver side panel. The only other option that I can think of for the cabinets, is if you're planning on taking out your rear seats (for a sub box, I presume) then just put either 6x9's or 8" subs in there. Run your wires in the cabinet by drilling or I think that you can run wires underneath the plastic into the cabinet from the bottom. If that's the case, then use some creativity and fins a way to put something down on the bottom so you can completely enclose the cabinet. Cut out a front for the speaker (make sure it's big enough so you can secure it from the front) then paint it, carpet it, or whatever. Slide it in and secure it from the front. Take some paintable caulk and go around the outside of the cabinet door (after you take it off of course as well as the hinges, etc.) so the speaker "box" front is airtight to the cabinet. Wire everything up and you should be good to go. It's kinda hard to explain typing this down but I think that you can get the picture. I'll think about it some more. Like I said, when I thought of it, it was just an idea, than I scrapped it so I never thought about the procedure. Let me know....

Old 02-19-2005, 05:27 AM

Well, I am just gonna take the back seats out to be able to get that lower interior panel off, it looks hard not to. I really want to take the cabinet panel off and look and see just how much room i will have from the cabinet door to the wheel well. (flat space for a typical enclosure) If there will be enough space I am just gonna pop the actual cabinet off itself, so that when you open the door all you see is the wheel well. It is gonna be an interesting project, be patient with me I ask, I go to school and our shop is always busy at work.
As for the rattle, it seems to me as I have seen it done; when the dealer takes that panel on or off, they torque it down with an impact gun. I guess loosening the bolt takes some tension off the rest of the panel, as with anything you tighten too tight it is gonna tense up around the tightened area, if you can see what I mean. Just break it and loosen it a half-turn...dont want your seatbelt to malfunction...THAT WOULD BE BAD....ugh i have so many things to post on here...haha peace

Old 02-20-2005, 04:26 AM
timetoblaze is an unknown quantity at this point

i think that everyone with a blazer has thought to themselves at one point in time "i wounder how or if i can put a speaker in that lil cubby" lol i know i have a couple of times... i havent tried because frankly im just too damn lazy lol good for you bro i hope things turn out well for ya... i just noticed that rattle the other night when i was driving back from work at like 4:30 in mornin it was good and bad good bc it kept me awake cause it was pissin me off and bad cause it was pissin me off lol glad to know where its comin from .... good luck

Old 02-20-2005, 07:18 AM

Ok, did a little snooping around as to the EVER-ELUSIVE rattle... the rattle comes from the small panel directly to the rear of the 6x9 speaker grille. This is the place where the little roll-around ash tray thingy comes out of the wall. THAT is the panel that rattles. Loosening the bolt just helped a little. You may also have to put something behind that small ash tray, or panel. (i.e. a folded piece of paper, piece of cork, folded picture of ex-g/f...anything)

Old 02-23-2005, 03:30 AM
Canadian_Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

ya i seen some guy do that on cardomain.com