Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

swapping subs!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 06:48 PM
Starting Member
lionel2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default swapping subs!!

My subs are comming on 8 years old...and i have been thinking for many months about replacing them with some new subs...but money is an issue...gets quite weird when you gotta find the best way to wire 3 subs....best way i thought of is to have 3 dual 4's giving me a 2.67 ohm load....not sure what subs to go with...power is a main concern as well...my amp only produces 800w x1 @ 2.67ohms...i did the math....so i would need 3 subs that are roughly 300w rms to make it work...my choices were some RE audio SR12's orPowerbass S-12D's....I know the powerbass subs are cheap...like $279 installed for all 3....but the RE's are like $400 installed...not sure what i should go with...please help..thanks

Old 11-19-2007, 07:07 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation
Default RE: swapping subs!!

First off, is the box sealed or ported??? Have you checked the manufacturers recommended enclosures to see if those will work in your current box???

Is your amp 1 ohm stable?? What is the actual model of your amp right now??

Old 11-19-2007, 07:47 PM
blznlowxtreme is an unknown quantity at this point

i would just go with 2 subs so it will be cheaper and easier to pick subs and not have to sit down and do the math on the ohm load for 3 subs

Old 11-19-2007, 08:02 PM
Administrator

not hard to wire them, but with box rise and everything, you will be seeing closer to 3 ohms. I would do three Dual 2 ohms speakers.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:29 PM
Starting Member

First off, I wanna keep my box, cause it put me back $215 just for the box and it is a really good ported box....custom made just for my blazer...I have a kenwood 9102d amp...does 500x1 @ 4 ohms and 850x1 @ 2 ohms...not 1 ohm stable...i wanna keep it at 3 subs..thanks

Old 11-19-2007, 10:00 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: hillbillyinOhio

First off, is the box sealed or ported??? Have you checked the manufacturers recommended enclosures to see if those will work in your current box???

I ask this again

Old 11-20-2007, 01:03 AM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

I ask this again
The post above yours says its a ported enclosure

Lionel2, just because the box was custom made for your blazer, doesnt mean it was custom made for a new set of subs. swapping out the subs could make it sound horrible if the airspace is way off. Are you just replacing your subs because you feel like it, or because you really need to replace them? Why fix something that isnt broke? I say keep your current subs. Just because they are "old" doesnt mean they are bad.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:23 AM
Starting Member

bobditts....I think you might have a point...if they are not broke dont fix it...well...my subs are in great shape for their age...just i wanna keep up with these young guys that have all these high excursion subs....I know i have one of the best name brand subs out there and that they were top of the line in 2000, i can still hit pretty hard with them only giving them minimal watts...i have talked to my shop and they say to keep them until the surround falls apart...which is not anytime soon...subs are very firm and surround is just fine...reconing the subs is out of the question, JL does not offer to recone these subs no more...at that point i would have to get new subs...as far as new subs matching my box specs, RE and PB both fit my box specs...they require like 1.5 cubes per sub ported...thats about 4.5 cubes for the box...and my shop that built the box sells both RE and PB and they wanna to make sure that both RE and PB subs can be used in the box if i was ever to swap subs..thanks

Old 11-20-2007, 07:04 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

Just do it then, swap out for what your pocket book can handle at the moment!! You have any pics of the enclosure????