Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Switching to component speakers

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 02:41 PM
Beginning Member
cww23007 is on a distinguished road

Makes sense.

Most 4ch. amps I've been looking at only do about 40-50W RMS per channel @ 4ohms. What good would that extra power handling be if the amp isn't capable of supplying it? Spending the extra $50 on the Alpines is coupled with having to spend extra on an amp that is able to take advantage of them.

Another thing to consider is the physical size of the amp. Locations for mounting it will dwindle the larger (and more powerful) it gets. I'm sure there are some low-profile exceptions. I originally wanted to mount it within the center console somehow or some place that will make it easiest to wire. Where do you have your amp mounted? I'll just have to do some measuring and keep a close eye on dimensions.

So I guess I would rather go with the Alpines if I can find the perfect amp to match (smaller in size, higher output per channel, good brand). Otherwise I'll save the money and go with the Pioneers and a less powerful and less expensive amp. What amp would you recommend?

Old 02-28-2013, 04:33 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

That's true, though it could be useful for future upgrades if you were ever so inclined to. Otherwise yeah, you're right, there's no sense in spending the money on them without spending the money on a bigger amp.

Getting an amp small enough to fit inside the center isn't impossible, even at the power the Alpine's would be comfortable at, but they're pricier even for the 50 to 60 watt per channel versions. A couple of options would be the RE Audio XTX-800.4 and the MTX TD75.4 at about $130 each at Sonic Electronics. They're ridiculously small in size at ~6" x 7.5" for the RE and 5.5" x 10" for the MTX. The RE is rated 60wrms x 4 and the MTX is 75wrms x 4 and if I was gonna buy one of these it would be the MTX.

Larger in size is the RE DTX-750.4 which is about 9" x 12.5" also 60wrms x 4 and $105. Then there's the PPI S320.4 which is about 9.5" x 13.5" rated 55wrms x 4 @ $90 and in all honesty the PPI is the better out of those two but the RE's aren't bad either.

With the MTX TD75.4 you'll get kick *** performance out of the Pioneers. A little head room is a good thing.

Last edited by altoncustomtech; 02-28-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:27 AM
Beginning Member

I'm leaning toward that MTX. I've heard good things about MB Quart as well. Would the MB Quart ONX4.80 be a good option for either set of components? The dimensions are a bit bigger but it can do 80WRMS x 4 @ $119.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:05 AM

The MTX would be the better amp without question. If it were the MB Quart pre Maxxsonics then yeah, but not now. They're not really different than Autotek, Hifonics, or Crunch. Well, better than the Crunch stuff, but no real difference from the other two.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:02 AM

So have you gotten anywhere on this yet?

Old 03-06-2013, 09:41 AM
Beginning Member

I've pretty much decided on the pioneer D-Series comps and the MTX amp you pointed out. Then I'll get a matching pair of D-Series coax 6x9s. However the amp and 6x9s are currently out of stock on sonicelectronix where I found them to be the cheapest.

Now I've been looking at baffles and sound dampening material on sonicelectronix. Would these foam/plastic baffles by Metra or Install Bay be a smart purchase?

Old 03-06-2013, 09:50 AM

Can you put up a link to exactly what you're referring to on the foam/plastic baffle?

Also, Crutchfield has the MTX TD75.4 in stock for .99 cents more than SonicElectronix with free shipping as well.

Hookedontronics.com has it as well for $120 with free shipping, but I've never ordered from them before.

AvenueSound also has it for $132 with free shipping, but again, I've never ordered from these guys either.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:12 AM
Beginning Member

I'm looking at these 6.5" baffles and these 6x9" baffles. I'm not sure about their mounting depth. I assume I would have to remove the blue baffles that are already in the doors too.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:40 AM

Ah, yeah those.

Don't waste your money, they don't do anything to help the sound despite the manufacturers claims. They can/do protect from the elements, but they're not necessary in most cases.

If you want to replace the flimsy blue factory baffles there are much better and fairly easy ways to go about doing so. You can use just about any wood (MDF, plywood, etc.) to make your own. You only need to seal them with something like bedliner to keep any water that may get on them from affecting them and you'll be in much better shape.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:10 AM
Beginning Member

What about sound dampening material? I was looking at this stuff by NVX but it's expensive and i'm not sure how much I would need. How much did you use in your Jimmy for front and back? Looks like quite a bit.

Quick Reply: Switching to component speakers