Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Which way did you run the amp power line?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 05:32 PM
Starting Member
helo is on a distinguished road

My first wiring was 4gauge through the rear washer grommet behind the brake pedal. Ran it stealth through the trim panels to the back. I liked that setup, but I wanted thicker wire...

I upgraded to some fairly stiff 2/0 wire that I had to run along the frame and through a piece of electrical conduit in a big hole I made under the rear seat... It's ghetto as hell under the hood, but whatever... =).

I grounded to the frame behind the parking brake cable (there were two bolts already there, just had to polish the metal)

Old 08-18-2010, 08:10 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

ok so is there a question? or pictures?

Old 08-20-2010, 10:21 PM
Beginning Member
bigbeast is on a distinguished road

I ran my 2 ga from the pass side, pull up the carpet in the front, there is a rubber stopper / grommet that had something else in it, anyways, i pulled the 2 ga through it, and ran under the carpet, along the doors edge, worked great

now a year later, having problems with heat melting wires under hood, found perfect solution, got some radiator hose, and fed a starter string through it, then pulled the wire till the hose went all the way to the fire panel, or whatever it is called, the fire wall, it was hard as hell to pull that much wire through the hose, but well worth it, tied down in 40 places, and hooked to a 250 amp fuse right at the battery, not to mention the dist block fuses for each of the 3 amps.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:21 AM
Beginning Member
AutoTechSampson is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Silver00LT
Question: How hard was it to fish the wire in the engine bay?

I have a kit already. I pretty much stock pile this stuff as I know I could use it again. But the problem is...length. I do not like splices, etc. in wires as it creates future 'problem' areas. So the only way I know I MAY be able to get by with it is passenger side...but still when I get to the trunk space I may still end up having to put a splitter in as I do plan on wiring two amps. one for sub one for mids. To give you an idea of length. It is the kit I used for the system install on my 2000 sedan Cavalier. System still in it hooked up. :lol:

I'm praying for the life of me it will not be like my Mazda MX6 was when I was installing my relocation kit.

For installing two amps I would recommend running a larger power wire to the back then putting in a dual amp kit, therefore isolating any potential issues.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:34 PM
Starting Member
BigEffingHammer is on a distinguished road

I ran my wire over the river and through the woods to grandmother's house we go!

Actually, I first ran 8 AWG wire from the battery over the fan down and around to the grommet above the pedals then under the thresholds to a sneaky hole in the back...

Then I upgraded to 1 Ott gauge wire...
Still ran over the fan and in the grommet, except I have to chop up the grommet and basically wing it. From above the pedals it's ran underish my center console to a power distribution block, then from the block, currently I have 8 AWG wire ran between the seats back to my amplifier.

The PDB and wiring running through the middle is part of my awesome custom center console that I'll probably never get around to making.

Anyway, that's how I ran my wires. Cool thing is that my RCA's are run under the threshold still so there is zero chance of any interference from any power wires.

Cool side note, I plan on getting 8 12" subwoofers alongside 4 amplifiers (I already have 2 and 1) and that's where my PDB comes into play.

P.S. 1/0 (1 Ott) gauge wire is really thick! :O

P.S.S. Fused about a foot away from the battery then I have 4 fuses in my PDB as well.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:44 AM
zr2dan is on a distinguished road

i ran my 2 gauge wire down the passenger side fender through the power wire door gromet under my door trim all the way to the back i used the seat to frame bolts for ground rca's and remote wire ran down driver side in the same manner it looks clean there is no visible wire accept where it goes in the amp and off the battery if you run through the door power gromet make sure you put a u shape loop in the power wire so out side condensation drips off the wire and not down into your gromet

Old 10-09-2011, 10:32 AM
Beginning Member
bigbeast is on a distinguished road

I ran 2ga, pulled the passenger side carpet, drilled a hole in the firewall that wasnt near muuch, after 6 mos, i found engine heat melting the plastic, so i bought a couple feet of some type of rubber hi temp radiator hose, and threaded the wire all the way to the firewall from the battery maiin fuse, intternally, power wire runs along passenger side under carpet, and comes up thhrough the center of the pass rear seat to my dist block, runniing 2 rf monos fr the subbs, and an xtant 4ch for the 8front speakers