Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

welding power wire

Old 02-08-2014, 06:30 AM
Steve-o will become famous soon enough
Default welding power wire

1/0 CCI ROYAL EXCELENE WELDING CABLE RED

I know a lot of people use welding cable for there audio power, but is this one anygood? hella deal for 600v current

Old 02-08-2014, 10:33 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

For that price it's just plain and simply hard to beat. The cable is good for 600V, up to 250A of current, up to 105DegC (221DegF) and all the chemical resistance which makes it great for the automotive environment. The only issue I see you could have with it is getting it around any very tight bends. It only has a 1,026 strand count and if you compare it to the Knukonceptz Kolossus Fleks 1/0 (for example) which has a strand count over 5,000 it's just not going to turn as tight. Now I'm sure you won't have a need to be able to wrap the cable around something as small as your thumb (which can be done with the Kolossus BTW) but it can sure be handy for some runs and hiding it at times.

I don't think you'll have any problems at all with using the welding cable. If you don't already have a GOOD crimper for wire terminals that size I would suggest getting one of these Heavy Duty Crimping Tool or at the very least one of these Hammer Crimp Tool because crimping 1/0 gauge wire terminals isn't the easiest thing to do. These are fairly inexpensive and will do a fine job. I've had one of the hammer type for years and I've never had a problem with any of the crimps I've done with it.

Last edited by altoncustomtech; 02-08-2014 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:51 PM
Steve-o will become famous soon enough

I us my vice as a crimper for bigger wire >.> but it will be a few months before i buy any because that ill be for when I start upgrading in the blazer, have to get her back on the road first (tax money). but I have knus 4g in my GP silver tinned copper (OFC)

Old 02-08-2014, 06:47 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Crimping is a very inefficient way to attach a terminal,
and it invites corrosion. Get some of these in 1/0
with the size hole you need for the fastener. Most
hardware stores, Lowes, and Home Depot all have them:

Heat it with a small torch and fill it with 60/40
lead/tin rosin core solder. While the solder is
molten, stick the cable in and hold it still
until the solder cools. Slide a piece of heat
shrink tube over the solder joint after it cools.

Attached Thumbnails welding power wire-termianl_zps022be684.jpg  
Old 02-09-2014, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator
richphotos is a jewel in the roughrichphotos is a jewel in the roughrichphotos is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Crimping is a very inefficient way to attach a terminal,
and it invites corrosion. Get some of these in 1/0
with the size hole you need for the fastener. Most
hardware stores, Lowes, and Home Depot all have them:

Heat it with a small torch and fill it with 60/40
lead/tin rosin core solder. While the solder is
molten, stick the cable in and hold it still
until the solder cools. Slide a piece of heat
shrink tube over the solder joint after it cools.
The way I did it when I did the big 3 and installed the 4 gauge for the amp was got the connectors from knukoncepts put the wire in, and put a LOT of solder in there, then I smashed it down with a hammer, then heat shrink it. It worked really well. I have checked them a few times, and they are still holding up real well.