Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

wiring speakers

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 10:44 PM
MemphisBlazer99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default wiring speakers

hello all, ok heres the situation. i got memphis component speakers, 6.5" for my fronts and rears. i got them running off a memphis amp, yada yada yada. i just have a simple wiring question. is it better to run from the amp straight to the speaker or from the amp back to the stock wiring harness and running them through those wires. i was thinking those wiring harness wires are kind of thin and i was going to get thicker gauge wire and rerun them straight to the amp. is it going to get better flow with thicker wire and better sound since im eliminating the stock wiring harness of the truck. i figured bigger wire means better flow meaning better sound. any help with my strange idea? thanks guys

Old 12-29-2008, 04:18 AM
Starting Member
FlatTopFoley has a little shameless behavior in the past
Default RE: wiring speakers

I don't think it really matters. On the installs I've done we have used stock wiring and everything sounded fine. However if your car/truck was pushing 20+ years or was some kind of service vehicle it might be worth it to redo all the wiring, but thicker wire doesnt mean better sound. Just means a bigger dent in your wallet.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:16 AM
dinobike is an unknown quantity at this point

straight from the amp is the best way using new wires. stock wires are small and maybe broken. if ur doing up a nice sound system go all new.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:17 PM
chasejames is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a question my girl friend has a 94 gmc jimmy 4 dr i need a diagram for the factory wiring for the cd player can any body help me with this? Send me a link.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:37 PM
hubbmatt is an unknown quantity at this point

www.the12volt.com They have a scematic on just about everything audio system, remote starts, etc... They also have a TON of calculators to help with speaker/box/amp decisions!

Old 12-31-2008, 02:48 PM
MemphisBlazer99 is an unknown quantity at this point

i ended up running all new wires. i had the entire car apart as it was, so might as well do it the right way once instead of the wrong way over and over again. haha. i highly recommend these memphis components.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Beginning Member
Cyron is an unknown quantity at this point

i have done it both ways, and for small systems, its fine to use the stock wires. But for really high power systems its best to run new wires. and also to eliminate any chance of unwanted noise, run new wires.