Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Wiring for a Speaker

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 01:06 AM
cjmalico is on a distinguished road
Default Wiring for a Speaker

Hey guys,

I just got a '94 Blazer from the family and finally got around to putting some speakers in but I had a question. I took the stock speakers out since they were busted and have a pair of Pioneer Three-Way speakers to replace them, only problem is I don't know how to connect them since the wires were torn out. I know this is very vague but if anyone knows of any certain leads on how to fix this or any particular part I need it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Old 01-04-2010, 10:20 AM
boomtruck97 is an unknown quantity at this point

what do you mean by: the wires were torn out? are you talking speaker end? radio end? or that you need to run a new set of wire all together?

Old 01-04-2010, 10:53 AM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by boomtruck97
what do you mean by: the wires were torn out? are you talking speaker end? radio end? or that you need to run a new set of wire all together?
x2. did you just rip the speakers out HULK style?

Old 01-04-2010, 12:48 PM

i should also add, which speakers. the 94 has 2 in the dash and 2 in the back seat area or back doors depending on 2 door or 4 door. if the speakers are the dash ones than its super easy to run new wire. but let us know so we can help you.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:33 PM

These are the speakers on top of the dash, and weird enough when I took them out they were already ripped out. Hopefully the pictures below help explain what I previously stated. I also posted a pic of the new speakers that I got and you can see that the wires attach at the side rather then attached to the foamy/cloth backing. Hope these pics help my explanation. Thanks again everyone!

Attached Thumbnails Wiring for a Speaker-img_4460.jpg   Wiring for a Speaker-img_4462.jpg   Wiring for a Speaker-img_4461.jpg  
Old 01-04-2010, 06:10 PM

oh, well your fine then. that just made the stock speakers messed up. you are going to cut the blue plug off anyhow.

-cut off the blue connector
- get out one of the speaker wire sets that came with new speakers
-cut new speaker wire down to about 6-8 inches keeping the side with terminals
- strip all four wires back 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch
-connect the positive to tan
-connect the negative to green
- make sure both connections are covered using electrical tape, and not touching each other when you tape them.
-bolt new speaker to plate
-connect terminals to new speaker
-install plate and enjoy

can someone double check the wire colors for me - i think tan is positive but im not quite sure on that one.

sorry for all the steps but i dont know how electrical savvy you are, and i have come across many occasions were people wired two sets together then shoved those two together and wrapped in tape and wonder why stuff broke.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:29 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

Not too sure about the colours Boom, but thats all there is to it cjmalico

Old 01-04-2010, 07:12 PM

Awesome guys thanks!

Old 01-04-2010, 07:45 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by boomtruck97
oh, well your fine then. that just made the stock speakers messed up. you are going to cut the blue plug off anyhow.

-cut off the blue connector
- get out one of the speaker wire sets that came with new speakers
-cut new speaker wire down to about 6-8 inches keeping the side with terminals
- strip all four wires back 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch
-connect the positive to tan
-connect the negative to green
- make sure both connections are covered using electrical tape, and not touching each other when you tape them.
-bolt new speaker to plate
-connect terminals to new speaker
-install plate and enjoy

can someone double check the wire colors for me - i think tan is positive but im not quite sure on that one.

sorry for all the steps but i dont know how electrical savvy you are, and i have come across many occasions were people wired two sets together then shoved those two together and wrapped in tape and wonder why stuff broke.
just test them first before you tape them up. if you get sound one way then thats the correct hook up. i dont believe you will get sound the other way. so just make sure you test before you put everything back together. i did this the last time i wired speakers up, it worked for me. let me know if im wrong

Old 01-04-2010, 09:34 PM

you will still get sound, just on way will have the cone pull in on bass when they should push out. you could just try it both ways to see if one sounds better.