Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Xtreme OEM stereo ?s

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 01:16 PM
tcash78 is on a distinguished road
Default Xtreme OEM stereo ?s

I recently picked up a 2002 Blazer Xtreme and I am trying to hook up an infinity Basslink II sub to the factory system (until I can get a new head unit). The truck has the RDS Head unit and 6 speaker setup. I am trying to figure out if this model of the blazer has the OEM amplifier or not. From what I have found online the RDS head unit has an external amp but I cannot locate it. Alldata.com says it should be in the center console. However, I took out the console and there is nothing in there. How can I tell if I do have the external amp and where is it located?

Thanks

Old 10-11-2009, 04:57 PM
Starting Member
Zeeke98 is on a distinguished road

There is no external amp on a standard RDS radio. I pulled mine out and put an aftermarket deck in. It's just a double din radio with different wiring than older GM radios. Maybe if it was a Bose system or something it might have an external amp.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:12 PM
Biohazed is on a distinguished road

you may want to look into one of those boxes that you can tap into a speaker line and it will give you the RCAs to hook the amp up, and just hook the amp turn on to the radio power for now

Old 10-12-2009, 05:48 AM

I figured that there wasn't an amp in there but I got a little thrown with the six speakers and alldata.com didnt show a six speaker setup without an amp. Also crutchfield made a big deal with the system having RDS. I've tried tapping into the high level input for the basslink but when I hook all four input in the sub cuts off. Guess I'll have to do a rewire and see if I missed something.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:12 PM
Starting Member
Zeeke98 is on a distinguished road

What wires are you tapping into? The 6 speakers consists of 2 tweeters in the dash, two in the doors and 2 in the rear doors or side panels depending if you have a 2 door or 4 door.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:44 AM

I first started with just tapping at the two rear speakers. That worked but when the volume was turned up to medium volume the bass would cut out. Then I tapped the front speakers directly behind the radio. As soon as I plug those connections in, the bass cuts off instantly.

I also forgot to mention that the head unit is the indash six disc cd unit. Not sure if that helps in figuring on wether there is a factory amp.

Thanks guys