Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Your take on Kicker

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 06:43 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Your take on Kicker

i tried both....liked em in the doors better personally.....

Old 01-07-2009, 10:25 AM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

all depends on the speaker and how the drivers were designed. certain speakers prefer on axis with no reflections while others love off axis with windshield reflections. lots of trial and error.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:27 PM
BF Veteran

ya, i didnt quite care thaat much....

Old 01-07-2009, 07:00 PM
Beginning Member
Cyron is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: bobditts

ORIGINAL: Cyron

i have jl audio 8w7s, 5001, 3004, and xr speakers. could not be happier
Congrats. Thanks for taking the time to read what the OP's needs are and what his budget is before making your recommendation. (rollseyes)

he was asking what other brands are good, and he mentioned jl. all i was doing was telling him my experience with them. why would you have to get all sarcastic? its not like i was telling him his stuff is crap and that my stuff is the best. i was just trying to contribute my experiance to the forum.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:49 PM
cr8390 is an unknown quantity at this point

i got rockford they make a great product plus they sound great and arent to expensive

Old 01-08-2009, 01:00 AM
TehFattie is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been around the block, wound up with Diamond in my doors. The D3 speakers on a D1 4 channel will sound great for the price (keeping budget in mind, you can go FAR above the D3 in quality from Diamond). As far as Diamond subs, compare D1 to C, D3 to CVR, D6 to L5 (really closer to an L7,) and Hex or Hex Pro being a MUCH better sub than anything Kicker makes. (Solo-X I don't consider a fair comparison, considering it's SPL only.)

Image Dynamics just plain ID sub or even the IDQ (for great SQ) is pretty sweet on a budget as well. If you're set on a well-known brand on a budget, Alpine Type-S speakers and a Type-R (or X) sub or two.

Amps I'd go Diamond for your doors, and Massive's Digital series for your sub(s). On a budget, just straight Massive amps. Do not, under any circumstances, buy a Boss amp.

You MIGHT want to check and see what your Kicker amp is good for wattage wise. I can't stand Kickers amps, but they have great wires and the amps they put out I have no complaints about other than price/power ratio.

Good luck man, and look for bargains! You never know where you can find a sweet deal. One of the most fair-priced and respected audio shops in Houston (especially with installs, warranties, and returns) is just a guy with three side-by-side booths in a flea market.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:34 AM
Good_Chevy is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: bobditts

ORIGINAL: Good_Chevy

I had the 2 x Kicker 10" comp with the box that had the huge port. It was loud but it didn't sound good, and it didn't hit lower frequencies all that well. I'll never buy kicker subs again.
sounds to me like the enclosure was not built for that sub and it wasnt tuned properly
I have no idea what is was tuned at. The box was made by Kicker, sold as a package. They we're loud and sloppy and had mediocre sound quality. I've never really heard any of there expensive subs but from what I read there only made to be loud, that's about it.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:45 AM
BF Veteran
Old 01-08-2009, 11:53 AM
deadbuzzard is an unknown quantity at this point

I had some eclipse speakers in my last car. I really enjoyed the sound of them + they werent too expensive