Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

1994 Bravada in Colorado

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 04:40 PM
stevbre1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by chevyriders
Sounds to me like you have a small leak somewhere. If you're bleeding and bleeding and still getting bubbles, you have air being introduced to the system from somewhere. Don't give up on It! Have you pulled the drums and looked at the wheel cylinders to make sure they aren't leaking into the drum?
Yeah, I pulled both drums to see if the shoes and drums were worn, and there was no leaking.

Old 02-17-2018, 04:59 PM
chevyriders is on a distinguished road

Also possible you got a defective master cylinder. It happened to me once before.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:32 PM

I bled it again today. I put another two quarts through it. It didn't make much difference. I've thrown away about $70 just on brake fluid, so I'm going to stop for now. There's got to be something else wrong with it. It's not leaking anywhere though, so I don't have the slightest idea what it could be.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:07 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

One trick for the bleeding is if ou use a small fish tank hose into an old break fluid container, you won't lose as much

Old 02-18-2018, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by DonL
One trick for the bleeding is if you use a small fish tank hose into an old break fluid container, you won't lose as much
Yeah, that's what I did.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:38 PM

I replaced the master cylinder again, and re-bled the whole system, this time making sure the hose on my bleeder ran above the bleeder valve. There is NO air coming out of the system anymore. It stops now, but just barely. It’s driveable, but not to the point where I would feel safe driving it on the highway.

Do S10’s and Blazers just have really horrible brakes? Is it not possible to make it stop reasonably?

Old 03-12-2018, 11:38 AM
Starting Member
2004 Blazer is on a distinguished road

Just a thought. What age & condition are the caliper to hard line hoses ? Maybe they are the culprit for the spongy feedback. If not maybe a replacement ABS is in order.

Last edited by 2004 Blazer; 03-12-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by 2004 Blazer
Just a thought. What age & condition are the caliper to hard line hoses ? Maybe they are the culprit for the spongy feedback. If not maybe a replacement ABS is in order.
That’s a good point. They’re in good shape, but I assume they’re original. I’m going to replace the calipers and wheel cylinders, and I’ll look into getting steel braided lines to replace the hoses with. Right now though, it still seems like the problem is air in the lines. I have put about 8 quarts of brake fluid through it though. The only thing I can think of at this point is that air is getting in through the ABS unit.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:02 AM
KnightBlazer is on a distinguished road

Hey Steve, just came back and reread your journal again since you've been great about following and commenting on mine.

Glad to see you've been making some progress, sorry about the brakes. . .like me and my transmission problems.

I also think it sounds like you have a tiny pin hole that's leaking somewhere. On my 88 C1500 the hard line to the rear was rusted out. Possible yours is just starting to go?

Have you checked the bleed screws too? If they're boogered up could let air back in while trying to bleed. Did you ever try the vacuum bleeder?

One other thought too. . are you absolutely positive you got the correct master cylinder? I'm not sure of all the brake set ups that were on these trucks, but I've seen issues with people getting a master for 4 wheel disc brakes, when they have drum brakes in the rear, or vice versa.

Hope you're able to figure it out soon if you haven't already.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:49 AM

I’m pretty sure I have the correct master cylinder. I replaced it a second time, and it’s better. I can drive it now (I drove it to work today with no problems.) But it still doesn’t stop like it should. I bought new caliper pins because the existing ones are rusty, so hopefully that will help reduce noise. The main thing that I need to do is get the air bled out of the ABS unit, and since we likely won’t get any more measurable snow until fall, I’ll have to find another way to get the ABS unit to activate so I can bleed it again. I’m sure there aren’t any leaks because my fluid level is staying consistent.

I’m the next few weeks, I’m going to start sanding the rust on the roof and find a color-matched paint for it. I’m also looking for someone locally who can rebuild the steering box. All of the companies that sell rebuilt steering boxes have pretty terrible reviews, so I’m nervous about buying one.

The tie rods I installed in December are already shot. The boots cracked wide open and leaked all of their grease out, so I’ll be looking to replace those too.

Quick Reply: 1994 Bravada in Colorado