Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

1994 S10 Blazer Tahoe LT - Revival

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 01:44 PM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

I took it off and took it all apart. It is on one of the last pages of my build thread.

Old 05-18-2017, 02:11 PM
KnightBlazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Tajohns34
I took it off and took it all apart. It is on one of the last pages of my build thread.
Just looked at what you did. Turned out nice, even if it wasn't the exact color you were going for. I will definitely be doing this. Seems like its put together like I thought.

Old 05-20-2017, 05:34 PM

Well Looks like the transmission is going to have to come out. Spent yesterday afternoon installing the new harness, Pressure Manifold, Servo, and new trans mount. After all that It now starts out in 1st again, and shifts to 3rd. Still just revs in manual 2nd, I do seem to have something going on for 4th now.

Kind of weird though not truly like 4th, almost like it's locking the converter in 3rd.

After test driving I noticed I had a small leak, came back out 15 min later and my driveway looked like a murder scene. Apparently I didn't get the new harness seated all the way into the case and it leaked.

Went out today and pulled the pan yet again, got the harness fully seated, and no leaks now.

Also noticed even after pulling the fuses, and battery cables the Code 28 came back again after all the work. . .Brand new manifold so must be a pressure, or electrical problem??

Weighing my options. . .I'll pull it myself, but not sure yet if I want to tear into it and try to just replace the band and possibly drum. Since I'm still getting the code 28 part of me is afraid I've got more than just a burnt band going on.

If not that, then I could take it to a local rebuilder. Last option would be getting a reman unit from Monster Transmission.

~$1600 for the Monster but the warranty, and reputation do make that an attractive option considering I want to keep the truck for a long time, and plan on towing light loads on 1000 mi road trips.

On the other hand, new band and drum fully set up and ready to go is $150. . . We shall see, going to have to mull over the options.

Last edited by KnightBlazer; 05-20-2017 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 05-21-2017, 11:52 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

We bought a reman from a guy I found on eBay for my 92 K1500. It was about $1100 and he offers a 24000 mile / 2 year warranty. But If the transmission ever fails he said he would still fix it for free, just not cover the cost of pulling it and reinstalling it. That was 6 years ago and it still works like a champ. The shop that I had install it actually started buying all of their transmissions from him. I think it was GLB Transmissions.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:21 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually have looked around a bit on ebay as well. I've found a couple that look like good rebuilds for around $1000, but still have shipping and core charges, which put it back up close to the Monster unit.

Now that I'm less frustrated/disappointed than I was after getting it back together. I think I have decided to go ahead and start working to pull the trans this week. Will pull the pump once I get it out, and see about just replacing the band and drum. I'll also try to inspect it all as closely as I can with fully disassembling it. Of course I'll be rather unhappy to put it all back and still have an issue, but I still can't imagine it needs a full overhaul.

If that doesn't work then I'll pull again and have it rebuilt by a good local shop.

Since I wasn't ready to start removing the trans yet I installed a new head unit yesterday as the factory unit was fried and only really working on the left channel. Got a $19 MP3, Radio, BT unit from Ebay, because really how often do you use CD's anymore. I'll prob try to do a double din navigation unit in the future, but wanted something for now. Anyway it's an improvement, but not that great, pretty much what I expected for the price, so I'm happy with it.

Also ordered another round of parts last night including a New AC Compressor (mine is leaking), Variable Oriface Tube, New front speakers, few more LED bulbs (because I keep ordering the wrong size), and broke down and ordered a brand new Jeep Steering shaft.

Looked around and most of the used shafts were asking for $50, plus another $20 or so for shipping from ebay. Most were looking pretty beat up too, so for $90 I got a brand new shaft shipped. Really looking forward to the improvement in steering from this mod. From everyone's comments seems like this it the single biggest improvement for the steering on these trucks.

Old 05-22-2017, 05:25 PM
error_401 is on a distinguished road
Old 05-22-2017, 07:35 PM

@error - Thank You. Much nicer than the Blue book, with the color pictures.

Thought I'd go a head and post a couple pictures of what I've done, but haven't really taken many with all the ATF. . don't want to ruin my good camera.

Here's what was left of my old harness.

Old vs New

Unfortunately the harness didn't cure my issue. . or the new pressure manifold, but two less things to worry about I guess.

Here is my $19 Radio. . Could be louder/better quality sound with paired with BT to my phone. Radio seems to be much louder, haven't tried aux or usb input yet. I just ordered new front speakers as well so should improve it a bit more.

I got my 2nd lower seat cover for the pass side. Unfortunately, it's not exactly the same. . .this one doesn't have the lower parts that slip over the seat. The one I got for the driver side also seems to have some reinforcement this one lacks.

Finally took a couple more interior pictures.

Got a cheap carpet mat set off ebay with the one piece rear mat, but they're all a little too bit. . meant for a full size suv. You can kind of see them in the pictures. I think I can make them work though.

I need to get by harbor freight and pick up a trans jack. . . then move the engine lift and old 305 from my Trans Am out of the garage to make space for the blazer. I don't want to try pulling the trans in the drive way.

Hoping to get that accomplished in the next few days and get started.

With it in the garage. . .and Since I'll probably end up waiting on some part for the trans once its out. . . or giving up and having someone else rebuild lol. . . I'm planning to get the hubs swapped and finish both of the upper control arm bushings. Just ordered two KYB Monomax shocks for the front today too. Still not decided on what to put out back. . .I need to fully load it up and see, but thinking air shock in the rear would be best.

Last edited by KnightBlazer; 10-09-2017 at 02:54 PM. Reason: fix img
Old 05-30-2017, 08:56 AM

Not too much to report from this weekend. Had planned on getting the trans pulled out but didn't really even get started on that unfortunately.

I've been driving it around a bit and noticed I'm getting the feeling like the brakes are dragging when I try putting it in OD. . .seems pretty likely that I have a cracked forward apply piston as well then. Since I planned on replacing the 3/4, and over run clutches anyway, will go ahead put a new bonded piston in as well just to be sure. Still also debating about throwing in a new beast, or sonnax sunshell for good mearsure.

Finally got the old engine and crane out of the garage yesterday. Pulled the blazer in and looks like I should have just enough room to be able to move around and get the trans out. It amazes me that this thing isn't really much longer/wider, or heavier than my Audi a4 lol. They take up the same amount of space in the garage. . in fact I think the Audi is wider.

Only thing I really accomplished on it this weekend was more buffing/polishing. Got most of the body done, with the exception of the roof, which I'll tackle when I pull the rack off to repaint. Found several more little body dings after it was all shiny again, but nothing bad.

I also went back and did the rockers and lower doors. At first was thinking the grey was a vinyl decal like the fade, but realized it's actually two-tone factory paint. Hitting the lower areas made a big difference. Still need to do the bumpers as well.

Showed my girlfriend this morning and she said it looks like a new car. . .lol and isn't too happy that it's much more detailed right now than her 2007 Honda Accord.

Hoping to get going in the next couple days so I can get the trans parts ordered before the weekend. That way I can hopefully have it put back together by the end of next weekend. Only have about a month left before our summer vacation, that I plan on using the blazer to pull 2 jet skis about 1600 mi round trip, so need to get my butt in gear. . no pun intended

Old 05-30-2017, 05:14 PM

Pictures of the body after more detailing. . .also forgot to mention I did install the front speakers. Of course they didn't fit out of the box so I had to modify them and make backing plates to be able to screw them into the grills.

Hard to see but the mounting holes were all about 1/4"+ off. So just cut them off and used some whiteboard material I had laying around to make new mounting plates. They aren't pretty but can't be seen anyway.

Apparently I didn't take pics of what I made, but here's OE speaker, new, and my template for reference.

More paint detailing. . Driver door done and what a HUGE difference I got here, still have Rear Door and Quarter to do in this pic. Also been using my 3" pad attachment on my drill instead of by hand. Had to clean the pads a lot from all the oxidation.

Didn't take any pics of it finished outside but here it is done in the garage.

Considering the age/mileage I'd say paint looks fantastic cleaned up. Still have a few other exterior areas to address but very happy with the result.

In the garage. . Jacked up. . .and ready. Now I just need a burst of motivation lol. Also having it up on jack stands makes me want to lift it

Last edited by KnightBlazer; 10-09-2017 at 02:59 PM. Reason: fix img
Old 05-31-2017, 06:54 AM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

B-e-a-utiful

Quick Reply: 1994 S10 Blazer Tahoe LT - Revival