Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

1994 S10 Blazer Tahoe LT - Revival

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 03:30 PM
Starting Member
Lefet is on a distinguished road

Still following your progress. I have the same year/model.
Question: Back around page 2 or 3 you were talking about an A/C mod. What type of mod is it and what were you expecting? Did you ever do it and how did it turn out? I've just recently gotten mine on the road (within the last 2 weeks) and yet still discovering my new truck and it's issues. So far most notably is a high idle, MAJOR gas consumption, temp gauge not working, needs an exhaust, no dash lights, no cruise control and I haven't gotten a chance to check the 4wd. I do a lot of commuting between PA & NJ so time (and $$) is limited. In addition to the weather not being the best for working on your vehicle outside. I'll start a build thread as soon as I can begin some steady work on it. I've still got to do the "beginner's things", like the Big 3, better alternator, battery etc.
In the meantime, I'm living vicariously through yours and others, thanks, we're following.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:47 AM
KnightBlazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Lefet
Still following your progress. I have the same year/model.
Question: Back around page 2 or 3 you were talking about an A/C mod. What type of mod is it and what were you expecting? Did you ever do it and how did it turn out? I've just recently gotten mine on the road (within the last 2 weeks) and yet still discovering my new truck and it's issues. So far most notably is a high idle, MAJOR gas consumption, temp gauge not working, needs an exhaust, no dash lights, no cruise control and I haven't gotten a chance to check the 4wd. I do a lot of commuting between PA & NJ so time (and $$) is limited. In addition to the weather not being the best for working on your vehicle outside. I'll start a build thread as soon as I can begin some steady work on it. I've still got to do the "beginner's things", like the Big 3, better alternator, battery etc.
In the meantime, I'm living vicariously through yours and others, thanks, we're following.
Thanks for following. I haven't completed the A/C mod yet since I haven't even gotten it driveable again. I just searched and couldn't find the thread about the modification.

Basically it's a vacuum actuated valve, with 2 ports in, 2 ports out. It will go inline to the Heater core. Vacuum will be hooked up to Max A/C setting, so in that mode it will pull a vacuum, actuate the valve, and prevent hot coolant from entering the Heater Core.

Sounds like you're making progress. I haven't even been able to drive mine enough to figure out MPG. . .and I'm sure I'll find some more issues once its on the road regularly.

For high idle, and high fuel consumption, I'd guess there is a good chance you have a vacuum leak somewhere. I found several rotten hoses on mine, and have replaced the worst offenders but still have about 20 ft of vacuum line to replace. You might try a new 02 sensor, since they're often neglected, and is a cheap part.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:57 AM

@Lefet - I just found the A/C mod thread. I forgot it was on S10Forums, not on here. Looks like the image links are all broken now, but it does have part numbers for you.

Hope it helps. . HOW TO: KrenzyRyan's AC Mod - S-10 Forum

Old 02-05-2018, 03:19 PM

So got home early today and have been tinkering more. Second guessed my sprag again, then I remembered I had an extra rebuilt assembly sitting around unopened. So I checked against that one and I did have it right yesterday.

Glad I went back in again, as I found something I missed yesterday. . .My new overrun clutches are trashed. Looked worse than what I first removed. I had put an extra plate in trying to set a tighter clearance last time I had it apart.

Turns out that was a mistake. Noticed today that extra plate is warped, after I noticed the clutch frictions.

So new friction discs for the overrun are now on the way, and the plate I added is going in the trash. $10 mistake. . I can live with that. Probably could have reused the original overrun frictions I had, but new seems like a better idea.

Hopefully will have those by mid week. Still debating on whether or not to get a new set of valve body gaskets as well.

Starting to feel more confident about putting it back together now that I've hopefully fixed all of my mistakes.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:52 AM
Starting Member

Thanks for looking that up for me KnightBlazer. Sounds interesting but I don't think that's something I'm going to need. I'll keep that one on the back burner for now, ya never know.
I thought about the O2 sensor, will get to it soon. I'm in PA now and it has snowed the last two days. Going to try and go out and clean the IAC sensor and the temp control sensor. My temp gauge reads flat zero, make too many trips back and forth between here and NJ, for it not to work. I've had a few suggestions about the IAC so I figure I'll start there. I'm not even sure if my 4WD works or not.
The vacuum lines are another one I'm concerned about. I have a few random things that don't work that may be vacuum related, like the drivers door lock, cruise control. Do you know where to get a vacuum diagram?

Old 02-06-2018, 10:55 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by KnightBlazer
Thanks for following. I haven't completed the A/C mod yet since I haven't even gotten it driveable again. I just searched and couldn't find the thread about the modification.

Basically it's a vacuum actuated valve, with 2 ports in, 2 ports out. It will go inline to the Heater core. Vacuum will be hooked up to Max A/C setting, so in that mode it will pull a vacuum, actuate the valve, and prevent hot coolant from entering the Heater Core.

Sounds like you're making progress. I haven't even been able to drive mine enough to figure out MPG. . .and I'm sure I'll find some more issues once its on the road regularly.

For high idle, and high fuel consumption, I'd guess there is a good chance you have a vacuum leak somewhere. I found several rotten hoses on mine, and have replaced the worst offenders but still have about 20 ft of vacuum line to replace. You might try a new 02 sensor, since they're often neglected, and is a cheap part.
No truer words were ever spoken! 😀

Old 02-06-2018, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Lefet
Thanks for looking that up for me KnightBlazer. Sounds interesting but I don't think that's something I'm going to need. I'll keep that one on the back burner for now, ya never know.
I thought about the O2 sensor, will get to it soon. I'm in PA now and it has snowed the last two days. Going to try and go out and clean the IAC sensor and the temp control sensor. My temp gauge reads flat zero, make too many trips back and forth between here and NJ, for it not to work. I've had a few suggestions about the IAC so I figure I'll start there. I'm not even sure if my 4WD works or not.
The vacuum lines are another one I'm concerned about. I have a few random things that don't work that may be vacuum related, like the drivers door lock, cruise control. Do you know where to get a vacuum diagram?
Yeah I thought the AC Mod was pretty interesting idea. . and being in FL even a couple degrees difference is worth the trouble.

Might be a stupid question, but have you tried a new Coolant Temp Sensor? I know that can cause problems with idle/mixture too.

Not sure about Vacuum Diagrams. . I feel like I've seen them around before but don't remember where. I probably need to find one myself as my vent controls don't work properly because of a vacuum leak. All settings only blow out the lower vents.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:09 PM
Starting Member

You know, now that you mention it, I don't get anything out of my upper vents either. But that's another story for another day.
As for the coolant temp sensor, I know about it, haven't checked it yet. I don't have a garage and with the snow and the commute, I'm trying to do quick fixes. I will get to it though. I got to the IAC today, started another thread.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:23 AM

Got about another hour of fiddling in yesterday. . .Had planned on being in the garage all day, but alas ended up spending about 10 hrs working on things around the house.

I'm still working to set up the Forward Clutch pack correctly. The "extra" plate I mentioned above, I believe is the Wave plate, so it should be in there. My confusion now is that it doesn't look like the wave plate, nor any of the other steels in my reference materials. It looks kind of like the wave plate, but is missing 3 out of the 5, sets of alignment tabs.

Going to take some more digging to figure it out. Since that came out of it the first time I should work, but I have what seems like excessive clearance between the forward clutch backing plate, and the snap ring. Won't be putting it back together until I'm positive its all correct.

At this point I'd love to just drop off the input drum and have someone check it, but not sure I'll be able to find someone willing to do that. So looks like I'll have to do more searching, and possibly order a couple parts.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:12 AM

Here is a picture of the plate I keep referring to. . .

Anyone have any idea what the hell this is?!? I have yet to find the same part in either book, or after an hour of searching google

It's where the wave plate should be, and there is nothing else in the stack that looks like the like the wave plate, so this has to be it, but it's not right.

I guess I'm going to have to order the proper wave plate, and then estimate with my digital caliper the thickness so I can order a thicker pressure plate to set the clearance.

Quick Reply: 1994 S10 Blazer Tahoe LT - Revival