Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

1'st Gen Build - Frankenblazer

Old 02-12-2015, 07:58 AM
Beginning Member
Maltasrc is on a distinguished road
Default 1'st Gen Build - Frankenblazer

Hello, New to the forum and happy to have found it.

I have started my Blazer build and thought I could share the progress with you all as I go. I'm already a few months into it now but most of it has been prep work for the build. Buying parts, complete trucks to scavenge for parts and some new part purchases along the way.

I now have most of what I need to get started and excited to build.

Parts inventory:

5 speed tranny taken from a ZR2 (not quite sure the year)
Manual shift T-case from a 89 Jimmy
4.3 CPI from an Astro Van
Chassis from an 89 Blazer LS complete with axles (roller)
Body from an 89 Blazer (4 door 4X4)
Seats and trim from an 87 Blazer
And a bench seat from an 89 S15

My goal is to build a first gen 4X4 4 door 5 speed. Will have both sticks (tranny and T-case) and it will have a bench seat in the front in place of the buckets.

Once this is all done, the plan is to custom weld up a roof rack, rear and front bumper (with provisions for a winch) and then add mud!! lol

I am in the process of setting up a Photo bucket account so that I can start sharing pictures (properly) along the way and see if I can pic up a few tips. Perhaps give a few myself.

Let me know what you think about my ambitious plan.

Cheers,

Alfie

Old 02-13-2015, 08:43 AM
Beginning Member

My first challenge was the chassis.

When I took apart the Jimmy I had as a parts truck I set the chassis side by side to the 2nd gen chassis I bought. The main differences were 2 key things.

1) The fuel tank being mid chassis rather than at the back (with a spare tire hanger @ the back)

2) The 4 rear body mount locations were slightly off. and there were 2 extra body mounts on the 2nd gen that I wouldn't need.

Solution:

For the fuel tank issue I cut out the 2 rear cross members from the old Jimmy chassis that mount the fuel tank.. I then cut out the 2 cross members in the new chassis that hold the spare tire hangers. Was pretty simple to do, I just drilled out the spot welds and with one good smack from a sledge hammer they came lose.

I then welded the old cross members into the correct location on the new chassis. Now I have the correct spots to mount the rear style tank. Unfortunately when I took the cross member out of the new chassis the rear sway mounts came out with it and since the old Jimmy had no sway I was left without mounts for it. So I bought some 1" steel round, cut 2 pieces 3" long and then drilled and taped some threads into the end of them. Once done I simply welded them under the chassis on each side and bingo... rear sway is back in business. Then I simply cut out the mid tank mounts to finish the job.

For the body mount issue the 4 rear mounts were in slightly different spots. The very rear 2 were exactly 1" forward and the 2 mounts just in front of the rear axle sere 1" too far back. These 2 in front of the axle were simple, cut off, move forward 1" and weld back on. For the 2 rear, I cut off those 2 spare mounts that weren't needed and used the top part of them to cover up the old rears while moving them back 1"..

Now she is ready to go. Kinda wish I thought to take pics during this but only remembered to take pics after it was all done.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:11 AM
Beginning Member

Here are a couple of pics of the sway bar mounts I made.

Sorry, Still figuring out the resizing with my Mac.. Will fix these pics as soon as I figure it out.

*IMG*

*IMG*

Attached Thumbnails 1'st Gen Build - Frankenblazer-img_3096_zps969509b0.jpg   1'st Gen Build - Frankenblazer-img_3097_zpse2e0aa35.jpg  
Old 02-15-2015, 10:03 AM
chevyman0784 is on a distinguished road

Is there any particular reason you're doing a rear sway bar?

Old 02-15-2015, 08:50 PM
Beginning Member

No Real reason in particular. It was there already before I started doing the mod. So I figured I would keep it.

Last edited by Maltasrc; 02-17-2015 at 07:42 AM.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:23 AM
Beginning Member

I see that some people take them out. Or install a quick release. Is that for better performance while off roading ?

Im assuming it's for better articulation?

Last edited by Maltasrc; 02-17-2015 at 07:43 AM.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:50 AM
Beginning Member

I spent the weekend finishing off my engine rebuild.. Not so much a full rebuild as I didn't touch the pistons (engine only had 100,000K on it). I replaced all seals and did the heads. Here's a few pics.

*IMG*

*IMG*

*IMG*

*IMG*

Im very happy with how the intake turned out..
*IMG*

The finished product.
*IMG*

ALfie

Attached Thumbnails 1'st Gen Build - Frankenblazer-img_2880_2_zps3804ab80.jpg   1'st Gen Build - Frankenblazer-img_3187_zpsabf68461.jpg   1'st Gen Build - Frankenblazer-img_3188_zpse4382272.jpg   1'st Gen Build - Frankenblazer-img_3184_zpsa704483d.jpg   1'st Gen Build - Frankenblazer-img_3145_zpsc169e230.jpg  

1'st Gen Build - Frankenblazer-img_0059_zps00da1f75.jpg  
Old 02-17-2015, 07:54 AM
Beginning Member

This weeks project is to take it home from my work and install it on the chassis and mate the transmission.

Here she is waiting for the motor.

*IMG*

Once this is done I can start installing all new brake lines and fuel lines

Attached Thumbnails 1'st Gen Build - Frankenblazer-img_3111_zpseef497e1.jpg  
Old 02-17-2015, 08:03 AM
Beginning Member

I do have a quick question regarding the slave cylinder for the clutch. I need to use a slave from a 98 (the inline style that mounts inside the bell housing) and I will be using a master from my 89. My plan was to take the hose (98 style with the press in fitting) and go to my local hydraulic shop to have them add a fitting to the master end. currently the hose is part of the 98 master and doesn't have a fitting like the 89 would.

The question - are there adapter hoses available or am I forced to go custom?

Old 02-17-2015, 10:23 AM
Beginning Member

Here is a pic with the chassis mod to fit the rear mounted fuel tank. (don't mind the ugly white tank, its going to the garbage).

*IMG*

If you look closely you can see I already relocated the rear 4 body mounts.

Attached Thumbnails 1'st Gen Build - Frankenblazer-img_0055_zps1c2856d0.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1'st Gen Build - Frankenblazer

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.