Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

2001 Blazer 2 door bagged and sfbd build

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 03:50 PM
K Strat16 is on a distinguished road

Is anyone interested in that sport roof rack it has keyed locking towers and is nice for hauling kayaks and I'm sure many other things I will cut someone on the forum a good deal if they want it I'm shaving the holes for the factory rack as well

Old 12-15-2016, 10:06 AM

I'm also playing around with the idea of a Ford Expedition independent rear suspension the factory rear end is said to hold up to 800hp and I can toss the factory control arms and build my own to get it to lay flat and correct the camber and I won't have to build a tunnel for the driveshaft this is all about saving space to keep my rear seats right now until I start building in January I'm trying to come up with a plan so I can just get to it any comments are welcomed I'm just trying to use my engineering background to build something that I feel will be reliable for me to drive daily if I want and be an impressive piece of work to look at and talk about

Old 12-15-2016, 11:19 AM
Starting Member
95teal4x4 is on a distinguished road

The expedition rear end is an interesting idea. It will involve some serious fabricating though. Blazers in the back are solid axle cars. You would have to get dimensions from the setup on the expedition to have good ride characteristics. Is the width of the expedition rear axle the same width as a blazer? I'm not saying it cant be done. if anyone can do it, it would someone with your skills. No more factory axle. You would have to find one with the same gearing in the rear diff as the front diff. If your blazer now has 3.42's, you need a 3.42 rear axle unless your 2wd, then you are fine. You probably mentioned it, i just don't remember. You would also have to weld mounts onto the frame for coil springs.

If you have the time and the knowledge, go for it! Even if you don't, the people on here i am sure would be more than willing to assist you. If you do it, take lots of pictures. I'm sure some of the members on here would be interested to see a setup like that. I would be interested to see it!

Old 12-15-2016, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

I think the expedition rear will be way too wide but I could be wrong.

Old 12-15-2016, 03:10 PM

The expedition rear suspension is a independent rear so I will be doing away with a solid axle period so I can ditch my frame under axle build idea and run the irs off the expedition only using the spindles brakes and yoke having a custom driveshaft made and figuring a axle combination out to shorten the wheel base and building my own custom control arms for the rear and bag mounts and should see more than the 12" of travel that I would have been limited to with the frame under axle idea I'm building a full custom frame anyway o I'm just tossing around some ideas so I lose the least amount of headroom possible while being bagged and body dropped

Old 12-15-2016, 03:18 PM

It's a lot of thought and work going into this because I want it to stand out and be different from every other bagged and bodied blazer you see at shows and keep my rear seats for my kids to ride with me to shows is a huge deal

Old 12-15-2016, 03:25 PM

I do want everyone's opinions though that's why I'm posting my thoughts but whatever custom fabrication I do I will be posting plenty of videos and pictures of how I did it and how I made it work

Old 12-15-2016, 03:58 PM

The expedition rear suspension is a independent rear so I will be doing away with a solid axle period so I can ditch my frame under axle build idea and run the irs off the expedition only using the spindles brakes and yoke having a custom driveshaft made and figuring a axle combination out to shorten the wheel base and building my own custom control arms for the rear and bag mounts and should see more than the 12" of travel that I would have been limited to with the frame under axle idea I'm building a full custom frame anyway o I'm just tossing around some ideas so I lose the least amount of headroom possible while being nagged and body dropped

Old 12-15-2016, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Look into using a Jag or C4 Vette IRS rear they are closer to the proper width and would likely be a bit easier to accomplish. There are some builds around the internet that have used these but not many thats for sure. I have never heard of the Expedition rear being used but I would love to see it happen thats for sure!!

Old 12-16-2016, 05:23 AM

Yeah my original thought was to use the Jag or a C4 IRS but they will both have lots of limitations in my application. I'm going to buy the expedition IRS and try to figure out a way to make it work if I can't figure something out I can always sell it but I feel sure that I can figure out something