Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

2001 PNW Ski Rig and maybe a little overland...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 11:10 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 99blkx
Swapped the left hub. Test drive. Growl still there. Uh oh...

Swapped the right hub. Test drive. Growl GONE! Woot!

Let the record show that it was notably quieter when turning left and the right hub was bad. I know people hear and experience that differently but wanted to share my experience.

I plan to crank the torsion bars tomorrow to get everything level. I’ll take before and after measurements to be sure. Trying to line up the local garage to swap the cat and align the front end. Once that’s done... tires!

At that point it’ll just be gliding through winter. Lots of trips up and down the mountain. Maybe fluids along the way.

I’ll post pics after the baby lift. Everyone loves pics.
Congrats and welcome to the club of hub replacers. I suspect just about everyone has had to replace their hubs at or soon after their Blazers get to the 15 y.o. mark.

Do you have the 4-button transfer case? It is worth experimenting with it to get a feel for how it works. I've done that by gunning it on my neighborhood street. I could see how the rear axle locked up (G80 rear end) and one of the front tires slipped.

If money was not an object, I think I'd like to have one of these locker front axles that work with the stock IFS. https://www.outfitterdesign.com/s10-...ferential.html

Old 11-18-2018, 11:49 AM
Beginning Member
99blkx is on a distinguished road

It's a club I expected to join about 45 seconds into my test drive, lol.

Oh damn... those are pretty cool. I haven't looked into upgrading the 4wd much. Sadly I don't have the G80 so I'm trying to snag one from a junkyard. It's also too bad most of them are 3.73 since I have 3.42. I'd rather have the 3.73 gears but not sure I want to mess with swapping the front too. Blahblahblah... where's my money tree when I need it?

Old 11-23-2018, 06:12 PM
Beginning Member

KO2's have been paid for. Should be in within a few days.

Now to decide... buy some soft 8's or D holes or just run them on stock wheels... Decisions, decisions...

Old 11-27-2018, 08:44 PM
Beginning Member

I bit the bullet and ordered a new chunk of exhaust. After surveying the condition of my current setup and calculating the cost for having a shop weld in a new cat it just wasn't worth it. Why not just replace it? We'll see how it sounds and if I want to do a catback later...

So I ordered this: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1472680&cc=1371440&jsn=464

And it showed up on the front porch...

Plan is to install it this week or weekend depending on the weather. Truck gets dropped off tomorrow night for new tires to be installed. Still trying to schedule it for an alignment and still waiting on my rear spacers. Damn you eBay!

I'll post up how the exhaust goes on. Hoping to not break any studs... <knocks on wood>

Old 11-27-2018, 09:56 PM
BF Veteran

That is interesting. On my 1999, the y-pipe was not integral with the cat. I was able to replace the cat and the exhaust system to the rear of that separately without having to remove the y-pipe.

I'm guessing you must have emission tests over there. I still remember having to get the 68 Mustang tested back over 20 years ago.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:09 AM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Mine was also separate from the y pipe, and I dont have that front extra cat on mine...

Old 11-28-2018, 02:27 PM
Beginning Member
Agile is on a distinguished road

I replaced that section of mine as well. The hardest part was the reaching the manifold bolts. The worst part of mine was the rear section was welded and not bolt on. I ended up replacing the manifold back on mine. Good luck!!!

Old 11-29-2018, 01:43 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Agile
I replaced that section of mine as well. The hardest part was the reaching the manifold bolts. The worst part of mine was the rear section was welded and not bolt on. I ended up replacing the manifold back on mine. Good luck!!!
Yeah... I've done enough exhaust work to know that those studs and bolts are a pain. I've broken like 6 catalytic converter studs on Miatas. UGH!

I'm not sure when or what changed, or what models have the big Y pipe versus just a bolt in CC. Definitely wish just the cat bolted in. Would be much easier.

But... now onto bigger and better things... literally. New tires came in and I was able to get them installed lickety split. Pretty excited that it looks a little chunky. Going to do the torsion bars when I do the exhaust, likely this weekend.

And yes, I have the other center caps. They were just off from doing the hubs and I haven't put them back on yet.

Old 11-29-2018, 02:57 PM
BF Veteran

Nice looking tires. What size?

Did you already install a longer rear shackle? If you do the torsion bar lift, consider getting different upper control arms so that that the angle for the upper ball joints is better. I used the ones from Rough Country that go with their 2.5" lift.

As for the y-pipe, I thought all 99's had the y-pipe that was non-integral with the cat. Hmmm. Having it all one piece will make it a greater hassle to replace. Good Luck!

Old 11-29-2018, 03:19 PM
Beginning Member

Tires are 30x9.5. I appreciate the recommendation on the RC bits. My plan is to just crank it up for this winter and then consider a lift kit next year if I keep it. This blazer is much more Mr. Right Now than Mr. Right.

Quick Reply: 2001 PNW Ski Rig and maybe a little overland...