2001 PNW Ski Rig and maybe a little overland... - Page 3 - Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Go Back  Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums > General > Builds
Reload this Page >

2001 PNW Ski Rig and maybe a little overland...

Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

2001 PNW Ski Rig and maybe a little overland...

Old 11-30-2018, 04:00 PM
Beginning Member
99blkx is on a distinguished road

I decided to reply over here. Not sure how this forum is about all the chatter in the newb section.

Originally Posted by christine_208 View Post
Nice, It looks like a shinier version of my 99 LT.
<PIC REMOVED>
After a day in the woods during hunting season.
They are quite similar! I wish I could go back and tell Chevy how I feel about this terrible wheel well trim. What were they thinking? Ugh!

Originally Posted by Agile View Post
Looks great with the new tires. I went cheap on my tires and put on Wranglers. Still have a Miata? I have a 99 10th anniversary edition.
There are so many Wrangler variants. I didn't realize how inexpensive they could be. My big requirement was an all terrain that was 3 peak snowflake rated since I'm calling this my ski rig. Almost bought Cooper Discoverer AT3's for a decent deal but talked myself out of it.

I actually still have 2 Miatas right now - a 91 and a 99. The 91 was a track car but is now mostly stock and for sale. Really hoping to sell it soon. About to slash the price just so I can move on. The 99 is my daily but I'm getting sick of blinding headlights in my rear view. Not sure I could sell it but that might mean a different daily...

Old 12-01-2018, 05:59 PM
Beginning Member

Days like today I wish I didn't work on my own things. Cars are dumb.

I realized after unbolting everything it wasn't going to be possible to get the exhaust out in one piece. I may have been able to finagle some crossmembers down or out and have better luck but I didn't want to. Good thing I have a sawzall.

The bigger downside to this is cutting the new exhaust in half. Ugh. I grabbed a connector and a couple of U bolt clamps from the parts store. This will be temporary until I take it into an exhaust shop to have it welded back up. I feel sorry for that guy, lol.

Turns out the ol girl does weep a bit. Probably won't tackle the oil leaks until after winter when I can have it down for a week or 2.

But there was one other project while I was under there. Gave the T bars 5 rotations to level things out. Here are my measurements before and after.

And the aftermath. The money shot. They payoff. My driveway is sloped a bit but the numbers don't lie. Looks much better now.

Cheers y'all. I'm tired. Time for a bath followed by a nice steak dinner.

Old 12-01-2018, 11:17 PM
christine_208 is on a distinguished road

Looking good!

Old 12-02-2018, 08:54 AM
2001ZR2 is on a distinguished road

The Manga flow cat for my 2001 ZR2 was a two piece unit. I was able to put it in fairly easily. It came with a clamp so I left it there. Made removing the trans a few months later much easier.

Looks good.

Old 12-03-2018, 12:35 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by 2001ZR2 View Post
The Manga flow cat for my 2001 ZR2 was a two piece unit. I was able to put it in fairly easily. It came with a clamp so I left it there. Made removing the trans a few months later much easier.

Looks good.
Thanks! And I wish I could have found more info on that. If I knew there was a 2 piece option I would have bucked up the cash. Luckily I should have a buddy welding it up Thursday.

Picked up a stupidly large accessory today. This thing is seriously big.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:51 PM
Beginning Member

Wellllllll... got the ol rig on the rack today and found one really ugly ball joint and a little play in the pitman and idler arms. Dammit! Another $200 to Rock Auto and I should have parts this week. I suppose that's better than having a ****e alignment done today and paying for another a short time down the road.

Also should be welding up my exhaust on Thursday. Hopefully my buddy just does it and doesn't hand it to me to burn a butt-ton of holes in, lol. I've got an SES since the coupler I threw on as a bandaid has a pretty significant leak.

And lastly my spacers for the rear should finally come in Friday. Took a few annoyed messages with the vendor to make that happen. The first tracking number stayed in "pre-shipment" status for 2 weeks.

The real bummer in all these little issues is that my normal daily (Miata) decided to leak and soak the driver floorboard. I've had a heater and a fan on it all day...

Old 12-10-2018, 12:57 AM
Beginning Member

Oh what a week it has been. My front end parts came in and I took Friday off to work on the truck. Then the wife reminded me we needed to drive it on Saturday. Ugh.

Let a buddy try and weld the exhaust. It's far from pretty but mostly functional. That's a problem for future JR.

Parts...

Spacers...

Reason for spacers...

YIKES!

So much better!

Wife's work's Christmas party decorations. UGH!

On the way home Saturday the SES flashed a few times. That was good for a scare. Ran the codes. Already have a new thermostat on the shelf. Another Rock Auto order and I've got a cap, rotor, plugs, and wires on the way.

I haven't had a chance to run down all the vacuum lines and see why my Service 4WD light comes on when I try to go into 4WD. It was working just fine before. I wonder if I banged something when messing with the exhaust. Time will tell...

Until next time... cheers!

Old 12-10-2018, 09:40 AM
christine_208 is on a distinguished road

Did you install 4 spacers? I only installed two on the rear, 1.25", to square up the stance. What size(s) did you use?

Also, your comment from before
Days like today I wish I didn't work on my own things. Cars are dumb.
made me laugh. I sometimes think being able to work on my own truck is like a curse; knowing I can do it means I can definitely do it for less money (but for the cost of time) and sometimes better than a shop could do it. LOL

Old 12-10-2018, 12:25 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by christine_208 View Post
Did you install 4 spacers? I only installed two on the rear, 1.25", to square up the stance. What size(s) did you use?

Also, your comment from before made me laugh. I sometimes think being able to work on my own truck is like a curse; knowing I can do it means I can definitely do it for less money (but for the cost of time) and sometimes better than a shop could do it. LOL
So about those spacers... I ordered a pair on eBay. 2 weeks later it still shows “pre shipment” on the tracking. I contact the seller and they resend them. And then one day I get 2 pairs. Cool. I’m only running 1 set on the rear and they’re 1.25”

If I wasn’t such a tightwad I’d probably pay someone to work on things. It’s always dollars and sense.