Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

2001 ZR2 on 32's

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2022 | 03:19 PM
|
Beginning Member
sportstrainer67 will become famous soon enough
Default 2001 ZR2 on 32's

Hey People of the forum, it's been a while since I been here as there has been lot of things going on. Just wanted to give some update on my ZR2 build. I recently just put on 32x11.50r15 KM3's and replaced my old KM2's that were 31's Anyways the tire fit great and no rubbing and no scaping at flex. I did trim the lower valance and curved it for more pleasing look but was for cosmetic only. Now I am probably going to be asked how do the 32's fit without hitting. I did no body lift as I am just not a fan of them. But that's just me and my preference. I do have a little secret not only to help the rear sag and improve stability and ride. But first What I have done so far from last post I did. I have replaced the headlights with projectors and fitted the h1 bulbs to the 9006 led. (much better) I also changed out the rear taillights. I added covers to the light bar and new off road lights and covers up front. Along with that I replaced all 4 shocks and put the Bilstein 4600 series up front. This made a world of difference in ride. Now as for the back I installed the Gabriel 43163 overloads which I painted to match the front Bilstein's. Now you're probably wondering why the overloads? Ok here's my secret to the saggy *** syndrome Along with 2 inch shackles the overloads add a extra 1 inch to the sag. Plus it improves the ride and stability with little body roll. Yes the sway bars help but this is highly recommended for any replacement shock. Long travel and fits without any mods. I did a tbar crank in front some time ago and been great so far. I did all four brakes with drilled and slotted rotors (WHY? What about rocks getting there) not worried about rocks. They will keep cool and help descending any obstacle and keep things safe. I am not going to rock climb my ZR2 but overlanding with a trailer could be bad with hot faded brakes. With that said I am also getting new gears and a Detroit Truetrac installed later this month with 4:11's which should be perfect for the 32's. Also might add for those wondering about backspace on wheels I believe they are Ion Alloy 586 with a 5.45 BS. Plus in addition to new gears, front new axle shafts and wheel bearings are in order. What about that thingy upfront and why no winch. I had a custom built push bar made while in Las Vegas and was thinking on a winch but going to pass on that for now. I don't expect to put myself in any bad situations but realize they do happen and a winch will be a life saver. So its not out of the question but still deciding. I also want to keep the weight to a minimum with addons and tires. Might have also noticed the raptor liner on roof and around rear windows. This made a big difference in temp and sound control. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!! Anyways more things to add later but for now this is my update and look forward to questions ideas and other. Lets all be safe out there and help each other enjoy our rides.

Old 06-03-2022 | 03:34 PM
|
Beginning Member
Default Wheel correction on ZR2 on 32's

The misprinted info was a typo. The wheels are Ion Alloy style 186 on a 5.48BS 15x8 5x120.65 Sorry for the mistype on the wheels.
part number is 186-5851B

Old 06-03-2022 | 09:56 PM
Hess13x is on a distinguished road

Good looking rig!

Old 06-04-2022 | 09:34 AM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

Very nice ride! Beautiful!

Old 06-15-2022 | 04:48 PM
Beginning Member
TC1111 is on a distinguished road

Nice man! Wow!

Old 06-15-2022 | 06:21 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Looks pretty sweet!

Old 06-16-2022 | 01:33 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Nice looking truck. The helper springs in the rear is a good idea.

Old 06-21-2022 | 09:06 PM
|
Beginning Member
Default Update on ZR2 on 32's

So I got the gears changed and was down for about 4days. Found out lot of things on the ZR2 that explains a lot. The Rear axle is from a 98 and older which explains why the axle seal called for a smaller diameter seal when i did the seals and bearings. Kinda through a loop to the mechanic doing the gear change. The front was no different as the shims for the carrier were wrong that were sent with the kit and again need smaller diameter shims. But minor set back. The Shop did a fantastic job with getting set up and getting the work done. Anyways got the Blazer home after a long weekend without her and changed out the grille and put on my smiley license plate for added fun. The truetrac works perfect and quiet I can tell a big difference in drivability already. I did keep mu old 3:73 gears and G80 locker as well as hub bearings, axle shafts. Though i haven't really been on the highway yet with the new gears still breaking in the recommended 500 miles before any real driving. Though the mechanic and I did take it out to see if the 4wd worked and it does indeed. Highway seemed ok with rpms about 2k at 60 in OD. So it should not be bad with the new 4:10's. Not much difference in rpms but much better start and BIGGER difference in 4wd especially in 4lo. Anyways I'll give more updates on things as they go. Anyways tell me if you like the changed grill from factory and let me know if you have questions about the gears or the 4x4 shop I had the work done. I am sure they would love the advertising. Also you can go to Summit 4x4 company and see a small video of my ZR2 on they're Facebook or Instagram. Later for now and let me know what Ya think. Oh...BTW anyone who has aftermarket headlights and complain the don't sit even with the grille, I have a solution for that. What I did is on the radiator support there are holes and tabs where the headlights mount to and held into place by the slide brackets if you look at the holes you'll see a square then a smaller diameter hole where the housing locks into place. I grinded the smaller hole upwards a little to allow the headlight to move up and become even with the grille so the body lines are now even across. I also need to mention that in doing so my old slides were little loose with the new lights so I took some heat shrink and put on the ends of the slides to get a better bite between the support and the square tab on the light. Works perfect. Lights stay in place and again nice and even with the grille. I can give pics if needed but sure most of us here know what I am talking about. Anyhoo just added tech tip for all those with lopsided headlights. Until next time Cheers.

Old 06-21-2022 | 09:30 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Nice. Glad everything went mostly as planned and turned out well. The correct gears for your tire size and intended usage make way more difference, IMO, then power adders like intakes, exhaust, etc. Yeah, they can be expensive, but they're sooooo nice.

Old 06-21-2022 | 09:41 PM
|
Beginning Member
Smile

Originally Posted by Tom A
Nice. Glad everything went mostly as planned and turned out well. The correct gears for your tire size and intended usage make way more difference, IMO, then power adders like intakes, exhaust, etc. Yeah, they can be expensive, but they're sooooo nice.
Yes, I definitely agree on power adders. I did have it tuned several years ago and keep my power programmer 3 available at all times for just this reason of gear and tire change. I will be doing exhaust sometime down the road but for now its good. One day a ls swap will be in order but for now y 4.3 is kicking butt. throttle body mod was one of those simple modes that I believe really made a difference. Thanks

Quick Reply: 2001 ZR2 on 32's