Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

2001 ZR2 on 32's

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2022 | 04:44 PM
Beginning Member
TC1111 is on a distinguished road

Hi! What prep work did you do on your rear window frames for the Rhino liner? Thanks!

Old 06-30-2022 | 05:26 PM
|
Beginning Member
sportstrainer67 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by TC1111
Hi! What prep work did you do on your rear window frames for the Rhino liner? Thanks!
Basically sanded the frames with 80 grit sand paper.. Then wiped it down with window cleaner. I taped the area off first then taped the edges around the window. This allows me to remove the border and edges after raptor liner was sprayed but able to leave the majority of the window taped. If that makes sense. Anyhoo...after wiping it down with window cleaner and taping it. I applied a adhesive promoter that I ordered with the raptor liner. Two coats of promoter then allowing it to dry as i shook the raptor liner. I used the spray can liner with a distance of about 3-4ft from the window. This gave a nice texture. I found the spray can to work great for this but you kind of have to adjust the distance to want you want. Beware the spray can does shoot out fast if you are not careful. I applied a light medium coat first then let sit for 5 minutes. Applied 2 meduim coats with 5 minutes between coats. After achieving the desired texture let it sit for a few minutes or so give or take. Peel off the edge of your tape.. It can get messy, big reason to edge last so you dont smear the liner on other areas. After its dried untape and enjoy the new look. I ended up with about 3 coats of liner on the frames.. You'll have to use your best judgement on applying the liner. What I did worked for me others might do things differently. But adhesive promoter is a definite.

Old 06-30-2022 | 05:38 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the info man! I have a couple deep pits in mine. Do you think the liner will fill the hole or should I fill it with Bondo or some kind of filler? You did a great job on yours! Kudos!

Old 06-30-2022 | 05:48 PM
|
Beginning Member

Thanks for the info man! I have a couple deep pits in mine. Do you think the liner will fill the hole or should I fill it with Bondo or some kind of filler? You did a great job on yours! Kudos!
If they are really deep i would definitely fill them. I would probably just fill anyways. The finished results would be better and you wouldnt hate yourself down the road if they didnt fill in like you expected with just the liner. Prep work is the key to great outcomes. Thanks and alway a pleasure helping others out.. Look forward o hearing how yours turned out. 👍

Old 06-30-2022 | 05:53 PM
Beginning Member

I have a regular 2003 2 door 4x4, basically with no rust. Unheard of here in Ohio. It lived in Cali for 5 years that helped the cause. I plan on the Rough Country 2.5 lift, with ION 171 Wheel and TKO's 31x10.5. Cowl induction hood 2" rise. New grill with smoked front and rear lights. Rhino lined Hugger Orange with matte black on the hood.I will post on the project. Thanks for the help and the inspiration from your build.

Old 06-30-2022 | 05:57 PM
|
Beginning Member

I have a regular 2003 2 door 4x4, basically with no rust. Unheard of here in Ohio. It lived in Cali for 5 years that helped the cause. I plan on the Rough Country 2.5 lift, with ION 171 Wheel and TKO's 31x10.5. Cowl induction hood 2" rise. New grill with smoked front and rear lights. Rhino lined Hugger Orange with matte black on the hood.I will post on the project. Thanks for the help and the inspiration from your build.
AWESOME ride.. Looks great. Clean .. very clean. Sounds like you got a solid build and great plans. Look forward to seeing more. Thanks and thank you.

Old 06-30-2022 | 06:17 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks man! I love these 2 door S!0 Blazers. We have our haters.....Fine by me! Let them hate while I wheel around on them on the trails. Lol! The only thing that can out wheel these are the Suzuki Samurai's and GEO Trackers. Everything else is too big. Just a matter of time till the peeps go crazy on these and it's too late. **** loads already in the crusher which is sad. Mine won't ever be for sale. Have only 102k on mine. Take care of these 4.3's and they will treat you right. Love your build and will show mine. Peace!

Old 03-04-2023 | 12:35 PM
bikerider is on a distinguished road

Great looking Blazer. Love how clean it is and the attention to detail. I know you have't had the truetrac that long, but have you tried it much off road?

Old 03-04-2023 | 01:13 PM
|
Beginning Member
Smile

Originally Posted by bikerider
Great looking Blazer. Love how clean it is and the attention to detail. I know you have't had the truetrac that long, but have you tried it much off road?
I haven't had it off road yet but did have a great snowstorm here and I can say without prejudice that the truetrac is awesome. With the new gears and everything the traction is far superior to the stock G80. The traction is unbelievable. I used to slide everywhere with the G80 and in 4wd the truetrac handles much different and better traction. I would recommend this unit to anyone wanting to upgrade. I wasn't sure on how the Blazer was going to react with the new gears and truetrac but can say it's one of the best mods I have done. The BFG km3's can also be an added factor. On the street there is no change in drivability and if you give it any kind of gas around corners it will bark the tires. I also have noticed a better fuel economy with both wheels driving instead of the stock G80 and only one wheel driving until it gets locked. Overall, I couldn't be happier with the true trac. If it performs this good in snow, I can't wait to see it offroad. Just did new rear leaf springs and currently working on rock sliders and a 4l65e transmission. I am also trying to figure a new hidden winch design to keep the stock appearance. So hopefully here soon I will be posting new pics and updates on new additions.

Old 03-04-2023 | 01:28 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Nice write-up, and it's good to see that all your mods are working well for you.

Any increase in gas mileage, though, should probably be attributed to the new gears or possibly speedometer error. There is no way the Truetrac would have any effect on it.

Quick Reply: 2001 ZR2 on 32's