Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

4.3 Vortec swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2019 | 07:45 AM
|
Starting Member
Jonathan Roberts is on a distinguished road
Default 4.3 Vortec swap

So I have a 99 Blazer LS 4.3l Vortec, I wanna do a swap but Im not sure what I wanna put in it. I found a nice 383 Stroker, but Ive heard that 350 and 305s are the most common swaps. Will a 383 fit in it? What kind of rebuilding will I be looking at? And anyone got any sites for good engines? Ive mainly been using Jegs lately. Thanks a million.

Old 11-07-2019 | 08:21 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jonathan Roberts
So I have a 99 Blazer LS 4.3l Vortec, I wanna do a swap but Im not sure what I wanna put in it. I found a nice 383 Stroker, but Ive heard that 350 and 305s are the most common swaps. Will a 383 fit in it? What kind of rebuilding will I be looking at? And anyone got any sites for good engines? Ive mainly been using Jegs lately. Thanks a million.
Fitting the engine is not the issue. Lots of V8 swaps into S10s and Blazers (some better than others). All of the small block Chevy engines are the same externally and are subject to the same techniques which basically involve V8 swap engine mounts, forward relocation of (a different radiator), usually adding electric cooling fans, and routing of exhaust or headers. The issue you will have is how to keep the other systems like ABS, SIR, Auto 4WD, Gauges, transmission, etc working. Because these all run off the same computer that runs your engine, you need a compatible fuel injection system on that V8. The engine with the most easily compatible fuel injection system is the Vortec 350 found in late 1990's pickups. Its the 8 cylinder version of the same engine you have right now. Will bolt up to your existing torque converter and transmission. Just add the two extra injector wires and get someone to program your current computer appropriately.

But don't mistake it for an easy swap. If you don't get the right mounts, or locate the engine at the right height or front/back location you will have major clearance problems with headers to the firewall and the oil pan to the front crossmember. Lots of people end up with the front of the engine raised up way too far in order to clear the stock oil pan, and this causes all kinds of fitment issues elsewhere. The proper solution is an aftermarket oil pan - they make them for S10/Blazer V8 swaps.

I have a 383 in a 2WD 1989 S10 with a carburetor. 4WDs and second generation vehicles have additional issues as well as different sets of issues. In any case you can buy a brand new Vortec 350 crate engine from JEGS, however you will however need a donor pickup for the rest of the needed parts.

Another option is the LS engines like the 5.3. Someone on this site did one and had a good writeup in the "builds".