Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

86 blazer W/ 454 project rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 07:38 PM
Beginning Member
Brewpubeaver is an unknown quantity at this point

took the manifold, heads, and oil pan off today. looks like it has had a rebuild in the past. cylenders look pretty good, but there was some leaking out of one of the valve cover gaskets, as well as the rear main seal leaking lots of oil.

deff a newer oil pump.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:28 PM
Beginning Member

picked up some block paint today, as well as a new torque wrench.
Also got some stripper to get rid of all of the current block paint for the most part befor we take it down to Cylender head Services to get it looked at. At least we will be getting it all hot tanked to be prepped for paint, full gasket kit, and as many sugestions as we can get.

Getting closer and closer to where we need to be. but still a ways to go.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:54 PM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Brewpubeaver
the 5 dollar wallmart kiddie pool is the best tool evar! wife says it makes the drive way look like white trash though.... i dont have the heart to tell her, lol...

This looks interesting, I'll be following this thread.

Good luck!

Old 10-25-2009, 08:09 PM
Beginning Member

thanks man...

just waiting on simnple stuff.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:47 PM
Beginning Member

HUge thank you goes out to Cylender head services for a great job on this motor.

Everything is going back together very well. Couple misc small things left and then we can get this back in to the truck and out of my driveway, lol...

Old 11-06-2009, 08:26 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Unlimitedsp
x2, thats crazy. Its going to be a beast when your finished. nice fluid pan, lol. Im might need to steal the neighbors haha
X2

Originally Posted by Blazin_Jason
It's happened, on this site even.

I love the kiddy pool catch can!
ok, X3 then.

the 5 dollar wallmart kiddie pool is the best tool evar! wife says it makes the drive way look like white trash though.... i dont have the heart to tell her, lol...
and a big coolant/oil stain wouldn't?

brother, that is one ooooolllllldddd retro intake. goes good with the valve covers. your buddy is gonna have one killer K5 when you guys are done.

the engine looks good so far on the assembly. did you put any upgraded stuff in her, or just a stock rebuild?

looking forward to the rest of the build.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:20 PM
Beginning Member

upgraded cam, oil pump, larger pistons, along with all new valve train.

does anybody know if there is a gasket that goes inbetween the block and the oil filter threads? in the manuel i have i couldnt find if it does or not, and i didnt see a new gasket in the kit.

Last edited by Brewpubeaver; 11-16-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:48 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

I know on my sbc there was no gasket, just pump to block. Also might be an idea to give a quick tack weld on the pickup tube to the oil pump.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:18 AM
Starting Member
86Blazer327 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nope , no gasket in there. Just bolt it in.
I hate when people weld the damn pick up to the pump. If you knock the pick up all the way in you dont have to do that , unless of course you are using a old worn out 45 year old pick up in which case , go buy another one. They arent that expensive. And for those who want the extra piece of mind, get a Moroso pick up , and bolt it to the oil pump. You cant weld mild steel to cast iron for one(with out welding with stainless or nickel) , for two you run the risk of getting **** in the oil passages when your tacking , and three - what if you get the pick up in the wrong place and it hits the bottom of the pan, breaks the tack and then presto, more **** in your motor. How often do you hear about sombodys pick up falling off? Never .Ive built all kinds of engines from Small blocks to diesels ( For a living) and never done this........My 2 pennys

Last edited by 86Blazer327; 11-17-2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:42 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Tell us how you really feel

Quick Reply: 86 blazer W/ 454 project rebuild