Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

'97 Blazer Work In Progress

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 05:52 PM
Red9Beard4 is on a distinguished road
Default '97 Blazer Work In Progress

I recently purchased another Blazer, 4dr 4x4, stock 245K miles. $500. I plan on doing a lot of modifications and a lot of repairs, lol. It hasn't earned it's name, yet.

Majority of my build will be custom fabbed. From steel bumpers, the hood, light guards, surrounding body mods, and interior tweeks.

I have a spare 4.3 engine I will post progress on and off. The current idea is to run true vortec heads (came out of a 93 c1500), stock bottom end and bore (if cylinder walls permit), Lunati cam and valve train, upgraded timing chain and sprockets, cold air intake, programmer, MPFI swap, long tube headers (drive-line clearance may make that iffy?) etc. Not a high horse, just and upgrade.

I will get some pictures up later this afternoon. I hope that you all enjoy watching and helping with my build as much as I plan to through out it!

Old 08-18-2016, 06:47 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

Sound like a good plan. Looking forward to pictures.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:44 PM
Starting Member
95teal4x4 is on a distinguished road

Sounds interesting, I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it

Old 08-18-2016, 04:37 PM

I appreciate it guys.

I've got some issues to work out first. Multi-function switch is possibly bad, headlights keep cutting out. Wired some LED'S up for the time being. Death wobble/front end bouncing like crazy over 60.. ball joints are shot, and pretty sure my pitman arm needs replacing, a lot of steering wheel play. If so I'll be replacing those next week along with engine mounts, transmission mount, u-joints, shocks, plus whatever else I find to be the issue tomorrow. Finally get a chance to look at it fully with a 3 day weekend.

Previous owner evidentially believed in all play and no work on the vehicle. Hoping I can save the front diff.. discovered water in it after 4x4 cut out in the middle of a sand pit. Eh.

Then.. I think I'll start making my bumpers.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:34 PM
Starting Member

Woo boy, you are diving in there now. Sounds like you got your work cut out for you. I'm not sure if my pitman arm will need replacing, but it's on my list. Post some pics of your install

Old 08-18-2016, 09:15 PM

Yeah, I will probably replace all the front end chassis parts while I'm there. Will do man! I will get some pictures posted as soon as I find my laptop charger. Think it got left in the mist of moving. Can't get my phone to upload any lol.

Last edited by Red9Beard4; 08-18-2016 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:37 AM

about 2 years I did both steering arms, all tie rods and hardware, and ball joints. I spent over $500 on all of it but I got all Moog, ACDelco, and Raybestos pro grade hardware. It is not a hard job, just takes time. definitely needed an alignment after that.

Old 08-19-2016, 02:43 PM

Yeah, I was going to put it all on (straight Moog parts), and dolly it to the alignment shop. Looks like I will definitely have to do tie-rods now. Had a tire blow backwards off the rim at 65 this morning and wrapped about the passenger side one.. almost snapped it. Freak accident. Just when I was about to trade my ugly 17" chrome rims for some stock ones. Sheesh.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Red9Beard4
Yeah, I was going to put it all on (straight Moog parts), and dolly it to the alignment shop. Looks like I will definitely have to do tie-rods now. Had a tire blow backwards off the rim at 65 this morning and wrapped about the passenger side one.. almost snapped it. Freak accident. Just when I was about to trade my ugly 17" chrome rims for some stock ones. Sheesh.
Sounds scary, hopefully nobody was injured.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:50 AM
Starting Member

I can't even imagine that. I'm glad you are ok

Quick Reply: '97 Blazer Work In Progress