Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

'97 Blazer Work In Progress

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 03:29 PM
Starting Member
95teal4x4 is on a distinguished road

Well I'm very sorry to hear that. It is not the end of the world though if you take the transmission off it is right there. I know I make it sound easy removing the trans. Believe me I know I have done it twice. Both to replace the transmission. But a flywheel is cheaper than a trans any day.

Old 11-01-2016, 06:34 PM
Red9Beard4 is on a distinguished road

Oh yeah man, I just dread it. I've had to pull them before, but it's just so much easier with a 4 post and tranny jack vs doing it on the ground lol. But, I enjoy my Blazer and she will be fixed!

Do you have any experience rebuilding the 4L60E's? If so, how bad are they? I have a 2wd that is seriously in need for it and I may attempt. Only tranny's I've ever rebuilt are for forklifts lol, and that was years ago.

In other news, I got a sweet deal on an 04 Ninja ZZR-600. Going to be grabbing it soon in an effort to save money on fuel and regular replacement parts. The Blazer will be driven periodically, but by summer next year will be parked, body off, getting ready for SAS and possibly V8 swap.

I finally decided there's no fun unless there's no traction. I know a V8 is a little steep for this size suv, but heck.. why not?

But until then I will still be fixing her up and doing some more modifications to her. If I don't need it between now and then I'll be rebuilding my two engines for sale and I have a brand new 99+ 2wd GM tranny to sell to help fund the project.

Last edited by Red9Beard4; 11-01-2016 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:06 PM

Oh, also found, it's not the flywheel, it's the torque converter. Very loud clatter, gotten worse over the past week, and a lot of shutter. It's a 50/50 toss up on my donor van with the new tranny if it has the right TC or not, if so it'd save me a $100. I'll replace the flexplate while I'm at it however.

Old 11-01-2016, 08:36 PM
Starting Member

Every time I did my transmission I just replaced it with a new one. It costs a lot but I can rest assured that it will be good for a long time. One of the times I was able to borrow a trans jack off a friend but he moved to florida. This time this past May, I bought a trans jack adapter for a regular floor jack. I put it up on the ramps that go under each wheel.

I don't have much experience rebuilding them but I did do a little research in an effort to posibbly save money this time. There is a few long youtube videos where people take them apart. The one was really good. HD and it was fast. He used a battery powered impact gun but you can use whatever you want and move at any speed. I would watch that video while your doing It and it will get you pretty far. It's tempting since you can put in your own upgraded parts.

Old 11-05-2016, 01:17 PM

I've been the same, but lately it's been harder and harder to find any 4l60e's around here, and if you do they are an arm and a leg. I'm going to look into it, do my research. More than likely I'll be watching the videos as I do it step by step lol.

So, I know my thought process jumps all over the place, but I had a touch of inspiration that may sound insane, and like a hug waste of money but....

I want to diesel swap this thing. Yep, yank a Cummins motor and tranny for rebuild and run the entire drive train with it.

Reasoning? Ever since I got rid of the F250 7.3 Turbo I've been wanting another diesel, and I've never been a part of the norm. So, swapping an s-10 blazer seemed to fit that build. Lightweight SUV, and the amount of low end torque mixed with the right size turbo and gearing would help drop the issue of turbo lag for when you get into a tight, sticky situation. It sounds like perfect combo for changing between trail to mud. IMO.

If anyone has feedback or concerns I'd be interested to hear it!

Last edited by Red9Beard4; 11-05-2016 at 11:02 PM.
Old 11-25-2016, 04:13 PM

Discovered why the TC isn't locking up.

Previous owner went through all the work of pulling the dash, splicing, and even soldering the transmission ign. feed wire into the A/C ign. feed. Instead of replacing the switch. Dropping too many volts between the two of them, also a good reason why I can't run my blower motor on high.

Gameplan. Replace switch, redo the wiring, install new torque converter. Then, MAYBE then, I can start modding.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:05 AM
Starting Member
Smile

Just read that you want to diesel swap this thing. It would be unique. I do have a feeling that there be a lot of modification involved to the body in order to make it fit though. I have been under the hood of my blazer a lot and let me tell you, they just were able to fit the 4.3 in there. Any bigger and you are going to have to start butchering things. I like the innovation though.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:25 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

I like the idea of doing a diesel swap, even though it would be a lot of modding to get it in there.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:46 AM
Starting Member

Well it would be interesting to see. Cummins can make a hell of a motor. If you decide to do it, make sure you get lots of pics��