Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

98 Bravada Project

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 02:16 PM
hooah68 is an unknown quantity at this point

you painted the dash panels? what kind of paint did you use?

Old 09-03-2009, 03:06 PM
FoxTrota is an unknown quantity at this point

The other night i finally got the engine out of the Bravada.

Broke a Universal joint getting the last bell housing bolt out, transmission dipstick popped out and leaked all over my new driveway. Other than that it went pretty well.

Album > Here

Bored when i was done so i did the transfer case shield

Originally Posted by hooah68
you painted the dash panels? what kind of paint did you use?
Dupli-color Sandable Primer Black, somehow it matches GM's Charcoal Gray flawlessly i used two coats and it came out nice.

My goals for this car are to...

1) Have at the least 300HP (not a race car but something quick)
2) Keep Fuel economy well (nothing below 15MPG)
3) have a luxurious interior

Here's a picture i made on Photoshop of how i want the front seats to look, it may change but this is a basic idea.
with the Oldsmobile Log embroidered in the seat

Last edited by FoxTrota; 09-03-2009 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:04 PM
young murph is on a distinguished road

very nice so far.. i like the seats there gonna look really nice.. they're kinda like mine

Old 09-04-2009, 09:03 AM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Wow keep up the good work....

Old 09-22-2009, 02:26 PM

Finished, the engine is apart and strangely enough it was the front rod bearings which were spun, i could have sworn it was coming from the rear. The two front piston rods were moving a considerable amount.

I took a video of the movement

http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...t=IMGP2064.flv

http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...t=IMGP2076.flv

And once getting the oil pan off i found a considerable amount of metallic oil

Finito lol

Album: http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...ilion/Bravada/

Last edited by FoxTrota; 09-22-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:42 AM
Starting Member
Blazer_boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Looking Good Bud! Kepp up the good work.
Next V8 swap? lol

Old 01-06-2010, 09:54 PM

Well its winter now so the Bravada is basically on hold till spring

Ive decided probably because alot of my friends have projects (all racing projects) im gonna head in that direction as well, with the AWD traction controlled little SUV like this id most likely smoke them or give them a run for there money

So my ultimate goal for this now is to be a sporty quick luxurious SUV with as much luxury as i can pack into it while keeping it away from pimp my ride.

After the engine ill be able to build the new interior up, all the seats are being reupholstered or replaced, and i'd like to put bucket seats in the rear so it might only be seating 4, but it will seat 4 VERY comfortably with heated seats, cooled and heated cupholders, and more.

Im experimenting with painting and i have a nice scheme going Choarcoal gray trim and green, I tried Black gloss and it was too dark for the bravada's original color.

I'm still browsing for a suitable v8, either a 5.3 or 5.7 SCFI, im not into the carb stuff i need it fuel injected, I was told a V8 from a 98 suburban would be the best way to go. SO... if anyone has any suggestions I'm open or if anyone's selling or see's something point me in that direction i'd appreciate it

This is my goal for the look..

heh photoshop

Old 02-03-2010, 09:39 AM

I need an opinion from some people on here, I've been looking around and and ive been finding LS motors and one in particular is the lY6 6.0L, which gets 360HP. Anyone think that would be a good engine for this application? or would it suck lol. There on ebay for about $2,000-$3,000 i find the price to be okay considering i would spend more than that building a motor.

Oh and apparently these are Brand new never driven motors, seems creditable enough, they have good feedback.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-A...item5d27d74d31

This is the 5.3 version, i'd be getting the 6.0L LY6 most likely, unless anyone tells me otherwise.

So i'd appreciate some input from Youz Guyz

Old 02-08-2010, 04:15 PM

Another update...

Bought a new bumper support bar

As well as a Bravada bumper cover, It came complete with New Foglights
I only found one new bumper cover online for $370 on a gm parts catalog, i got all of this for a total of $250 including shipping.

no one gave me any suggestions on here for an engine for this so i decided i'd just go with the one i found

Brand New LY6 V8 6.0L 360HP - $2,699.00

bought it Thursday night, its being prepared to ship this week to my house. landed a nice 3grand on my credit card last night, People seem to think im crazy for putting this in a Bravada lol, i just might be...

One of my fire dept buddies thinks the drivetrain won't be able to handle the engine, He's not really an expert but he does mechanics, i did some research online and people seem to think the 4L60e won't be able to handle it, and then others say it can (if built right).

Not that im gonna be driving like a lunatic racing this thing all the time i want it to be able to handle the 400HP and almost 400 lb.-ft of torque.

The Bravada currently has a 4L60e with the transfer case in it as well, i want to keep the AWD. I'm beginning to think the wiring and programming for this is gonna be a nightmare lol.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:30 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FoxTrota
One of my fire dept buddies thinks the drivetrain won't be able to handle the engine, He's not really an expert but he does mechanics, i did some research online and people seem to think the 4L60e won't be able to handle it, and then others say it can (if built right).

Not that im gonna be driving like a lunatic racing this thing all the time i want it to be able to handle the 400HP and almost 400 lb.-ft of torque.

The Bravada currently has a 4L60e with the transfer case in it as well, i want to keep the AWD. I'm beginning to think the wiring and programming for this is gonna be a nightmare lol.
www.tripleedgeperformance.com

His website is not indicative of the level of work this guy does. VERY knowledgeable and even more helpful. He claims his built 4L60E is good down to 10 sec. 1/4 mile. Worth looking into!

When it comes time I will be looking him up.

Quick Reply: 98 Bravada Project