Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Altoncustomtech's 2001 Jimmy = slow audio build

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 05:24 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

man that looks nice!

Old 07-08-2013, 05:27 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by richphotos
man that looks nice!
Thank you!!

Old 07-08-2013, 06:44 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

You are an artist! Beautiful!

Old 07-08-2013, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Diaita
You are an artist! Beautiful!
Thank you, I appreciate that.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:58 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Making me jealous, I think I might strip the vinyl off my box (its coming off anyways) and lightly round the edges and primer/ paint it. it seriously is a masterpiece. I wish the sub was recessed too LOL!

Old 07-08-2013, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by richphotos
Making me jealous, I think I might strip the vinyl off my box (its coming off anyways) and lightly round the edges and primer/ paint it. it seriously is a masterpiece. I wish the sub was recessed too LOL!
Rounding the edges does help clean up the look a bit. If you want to paint it, no matter what kind of paint you plan to use, I would highly suggest spending the time and effort to sand it as smooth as possible AND go over it with body filler as well to make it as perfect as possible. With paint EVERY imperfection shows up and is most times amplified by it as well. It's not expensive but it does take a lot of work if you want it to come out looking really good. As for the flush mount, if you were willing to do another box build I could design one with a flushed mounting. For that matter, you could add another panel to the front of yours to do it if properly planned. Do you own a router? If so if would be surprisingly easy to do.

And thank you again for the comments on my enclosure.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:38 PM

Alright, another update.

Got some painting done today. I'm painting the inside of the enclosure to match the color of the Jimmy. I got the hole recessed and drilled for the speakon connector to sit flush like the sub/pr's too.

First coat of color inside.

Second coat of color inside.

That's it for today!

Old 07-10-2013, 04:32 PM

Well, this could be the last update for the paint. Got the third coat on today and it's looking really damn good at this point. I'll have to let it sit and cure overnight but I'll know tomorrow if it needs another coat or not. Hell, may just do a fourth for the fun of it, lol.

I've found that in spots it still looks thin that it seems to have more to do with the brush strokes and angle of the light at this point. Like I said, I'll know for sure tomorrow but if it's not done it's awful damn close!

The paint is just about too damn dark for a picture this far away in the daylight, but here's a shot of the whole box again anyway just for giggles.

That's it for today. If the painting is done all that's left is to lightly sand the primer to smooth it out and start putting on the bed liner!

Old 07-11-2013, 01:26 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Bedliner? Good lord, you could drop this thing at 50mph and it would laugh it off.

Awesome box man.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Thogert
Bedliner? Good lord, you could drop this thing at 50mph and it would laugh it off.

Awesome box man.
LOL, that's the general idea with all the crap I haul in the truck on a regular basis.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Altoncustomtech's 2001 Jimmy = slow audio build